We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giudecca Island to stay?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Giudecca Island to stay?

My husband & will be in Venice in early September for 4 or 5 days and were wondering if Giudecca Island is a good plce to stay? We have seen some accomodation that sounds nice there. The add says the it is a 10 minute water ferry ride away from San Marco Square and that it is a nice quiet location to come back to after a days touring around.

We will be arriving from Italy by train. Is it a hassle to transport luggage to Giudecca Island or is it much the same anywhere you stay in Venice?

MelbourneSusie.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

Guidecca is indeed quiet, and that could be a problem. To me, one of the joys of staying in Venice is to wander around in the evening, after all the cruise passengers and day-trippers have left. It has a quite different feel then. If you are 10 minutes away by vaporetto (water bus), this might be a dfisincentive to your doing this.

Wherever you are thinking of staying, look carefully at the map on their web site and at a map of Venice, to see how many canals you have to cross to get there from the nearest vaporetto stop. It is quite easy to get on and off the vaporetti with luggage, as the deck is almost level with the landing stage, but the canal bridges all have six or so steep steps up and down.

But anyway, if you are travelling by train, you should not have more luggage than you can comfortably handle by yourselves. There is no-one to help you with luggage, and some stations have only stairs to the platforms.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,842 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

I would not stay on the Guidecca by choice, but if you feel you have a place to stay that appeals it is fine the are some very nice Bars and Restaurants there, one of my favorite Bars for snacks etc is by the Palanca Vaporetto stop on the Island, it is a couple of minutes across the Guidecca Canal by ferry to Zattare a lovely area, if you do stay there a Vaporetto pass would be a good idea, as you would be wanting to cross to Venice quite a bit,

ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

If you have found a place you like then go for it. We stayed in Santa Croce last Junefor 7 nights, and most evenings we were down around San Marco, rambling, listening to the orchestra's and just enjoying ourselves, then we would hop on the vaporetto to go home. The trip took about an hour so ten minutes is nothing, the only differance is, we could have walked, but much as I enjoyed wandering and getting lost during the day and early evening, I wouldn't have fancied it in the early hours. Get a travel pass from Venice Connected, I think they are great value.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,415 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

There are advantages and disadvantages to staying on Giudecca. It is not as overcrowded with tourists as elsewhere in Venice; in addition hotels and bars, cafes restaurants etc. are somewhat cheaper than many areas on the main island.

The main disadvantage is that it is an island, separated from the main city by the Giudecca canal, the widest in all Venice. So you have to take a ferry - a water bus -. These cost 6.50 euros for a single trip in any one direction so costs can mount up but this can be overcome by purchasing a period pass which offers a substantial saving. The water buses run very frequently (c. every 10 minutes) from around 5 a.m. until midnight. After that there is a reduced night service so you are never cut off.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

We've never stayed on the Giudecca - apart from when we were students and stayed in the hostel. But we often go across for a walk and maybe a drink or a meal. I like it over there - it's very Venetian, but less touristy, as another poster said. And it's a very short hop by vaporetto. As long as you have a vaporetto pass to keep the cost down, I think it's a good area to stay - in fact, maybe we'll look for somewhere there ourselves next time - thanks for the idea!

New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

Go there

Do not stay there

Only a few places to eat and drink

Well worth the trip

Well worth some exploration

see how the people live

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

"see how the people live"

Like Elton and David, who I believe have a place there.

New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

I found it charming to be honest

New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

Sophie8,

"the are some very nice Bars and Restaurants there, one of my favorite Bars for snacks"

We probably share the same favorite Bar for snacks. I also love the pizza place a short distance down the walk.

Can you please share the names? I didn't save them.

Thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,842 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giudecca Island to stay?

i am sorry I do have the card somewhere, but as tou get off the Vaporetto at Palanca it is a few yards to your right, the name escapes me,

but so very reasonable , and such a selection of cichetti.