We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

Hi guys and girls,

I am getting married in Umbria next week (!) and leaving for Italy this Friday. We have spent so long planning the wedding and coordinating guests that we haven't really spent any time on our honeymoon at all! (which we are having straight afterwards).

As part of our honeymoon, we are visiting Venice for 2 and a half days. Not much time I know, but this is the plan I throw together.

(It is based on existing itineraries I found, tweaked to include what I consider to be the main sights and most interesting experiences Venice has to offer for honeymooners)

I would like to know:

1) your thoughts obviously :)

2) How to book the "secret itineraries" tour in advance?

Day 1

• Be at the Basilica di San Marco before it opens at 9:45am; admire its treasures and the thousands of square feet of glittering mosaics

• Be at the Doge's Palace by 11:35pm to take (pre-booked) "Secret Itineraries" tour for an insider's glimpse.

• Afterwards ride the elevator up inside the Campanile di San Marco for stupendous city panoramas.

• Stop for lunch

• After lunch, tour the Ca' d'Oro, a glorious private palace on the Grand Canal now turned into a museum and art gallery. Cross the Rialto Bridge to see the dozens of Tintoretto paintings in the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, then round off the day with an amble through the Rialto Market.

Day 2

• Wander the streets aimlessly - and get "lost exploring the city."

• To avoid the tourist crowds, head deep into the residential neighbourhoods of Castello (especially in the eastern half); northern Cannaregio, especially the Ghetto (the medieval Jewish quarter); and La Giudecca, another large Venetian island not connected to the rest by any bridge.

• Cross the Grand Canal into the Dorsoduro neighbourhood to spend the afternoon engaged in some art appreciation. Visit the Accademia Gallery for its collection of Old Masters paintings, then continue to the nearby Peggy Guggenheim for one of Europe's best galleries of early modern works from the 20th century. If time, try to squeeze in a visit to the Ca' Rezzonico, another historic patrician palace restored with a small painting gallery.

• Spend the evening with a gondola ride. After dinner, sit on Piazza San Marco to listen to the trios playing at the tables.

Day 3 (half day - flight at 3pm)

•A circle tour of the best outlying island in the Venetian lagoon.

•Start with Murano, a miniature Venice and home to the

lagoon's famed glass-blowing workshops. Continue on to Burano, a quiet fishing village famous for its hand-tatted lace and for the wonderfully clashing colours of its houses.

•End up on Torcello, a glimpse of what Venice must have looked like when the canals still had mud banks, but which was once a glorious city larger than Venice itself of which all that remains is a gloriously mosaic in the Byzantine church in the middle.

• Motor back to Venice in the afternoon to see the bell-towers of the city and sparkling streamers across the waters of the lagoon.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

Good plan, Go.

But you are planning to be at the airport before 2:00 pm, right, and so probably check out of your hotel by 1:00, right? So the last half day looks a little bit dicy to me, watch the time.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,843 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

I would slow down cut back, this is all to much, I feel warn out just reading this, be more spontanious , you will enjoy it far more I feel,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

I would skip the trip to Giudecca, unless there were something specific you feel you want to see there, like the Chiesa del Redentore (but there are many other Churches along the routes you described worthy, like the Salute in Dorsoduro).

I also agree you are cutting it way to short the last day with Murano, Burano and Torcello, if your flight is 3pm, and not when you need to leave Venice to get to your flight, unless you were planning on renting a taxi all morning from the hotel and going straight to the airport from your last visit.

Edited: 23 March 2010, 16:14
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

Seems a bit rushed to me too. I would suggest switching the 1st afternoon's activities for the next morning. Since you're already in the area, it makes more sense to explore the Castello area that first afternoon. I haven't even been to the Ca D' Oro yet so I would really prioritize the museums you really want to see.

The Rialto Market is best appreciated first thing in the morning and then you can walk through the San Polo area to the Scuola San Rocco (I also like the Frari which is almost right next to the Scuola) I would suggest staying on that side of the Grand Canal. You can walk through the Dorsodoro area and visit Ca' Rezzonico or if your priority is to see the Accademia or Peggy Guggenheim walk to those 2 museums. The Salute vaporetto stop is probably a 10 minute walk from the Guggenheim with a beautiful view of the Grand Canal.

You would have to start your day early to get in the lagoon islands or just visit Murano and Burano in the morning. Unless it's a priority for you to visit the islands, I would use that last day to roam around the Canneregio area. This is your honeymoon afterall, you really don't want to spend it rushing from one place to another but enjoy the walks along the way

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

Wow you are going to wear yourself out. I would suggest moving the Ca' d'Oro to the last day and skipping the islands completely.

Don't rush the Basilica and Doge's Palace. You can only absorb so much art in one go.

I wouldn't bother with the islands but would include a walk around the San Polo area. Focus on Venice itself you have such a short time. Take a look at some of the shops filled with jewellery, art, antiques, food, etc. Stop at a bakery and enjoy some of the lovely food or a cafe for an espresso. I wouldn't worry so much about seeing everything but rather slow it down and enjoy the city.

If you do the gondola ride head for one of the districts and do your ride from there going into the smaller canals. Not much fun being in the open lagoon and rocked by the waves from the vaparettos and other boats.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

I guess I was wrong.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

No roadgard - you just had a different opinion. I personally don't feel there are any right or wrong itineraries since it's such a subjective opinion depending on what each posters interests or priorities are. I wouldn't bother with the lagoon islands on such a short visit but for some people they really want to visit Murano and Burano.

I usually just plan on one inside visit in the morning and one in the afternoon but that can change on a whim. I hadn't planned on visiting the Accademia and Guggenheim on my second visit to Venice but ending up visiting both because I had a very rainy day and it made sense to do so. I'm not really a museum person - I much prefer the art in churches or the scuolas - but I'm glad I got the chance to see those 2 museums in Venice. And the truth is in the past, I've posted that with such a short period of time, I wouldn't even bother with those museums but that's my bias.

The joy in Venice is walking around and getting to know the different areas which are all quite different and seeing any museums is just a bonus to me!

I would assume that anyone who posts on the forum takes the advice given with a grain of salt and tailors it to their own interests.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

Congratulations....

I would say relax go with the flow , wander, get lost, pop in what you feel like as you pass it and then make a list of things you want to see for you next vist maybe your 1st wedding anniversary!

Oh I wouldn't bother wih the islands either ......

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

Hi everyone,

Wow, I'm blown away by all the kind responses I have received with what was a very last minute request (!). Thanks a bundle.

Every one of them was extremely valuable and has been thoroughly digested.

So, I understand that the general consensus - with the exception of roadguard who liked my itinerary just how it was (thanks buddy! :) is "not to rush and try and fit too much in".

Sage advice indeed - it is difficult to say sometimes if one is doing that on paper until you have been there and know how long things take, which is why your advice is so appreciated. I also definitely take the point that the last day could be a bit "dicey" and that one island at most is probably the preferred option.

HOWEVER - Interesting that quite a few seem to suggest that the islands are somewhat underwhelming and that I should skip them. Having read up a bit more about them, I am beginning to warm to this idea and will now save them for another time.

Additionally, I really like ljaguar's suggestion...I am thinking that it does sound better to spend the last half day "roaming around the Canneregio area".

Or perhaps the San Polo area as gingerCanada suggested? Do you guys have a preference?

Thank you for the tip gingerCanada concerning the gondula ride and finding one down a quiet canal street. Would you, or anyone here happen to know of a particularly nice route and where to begin the ride? Also, I have heard that it is customary to haggle - I hate haggling lol - what is a good price?

Someone also suggested that the Rialto market was better seen during the morning. Does this mean that it is dead / lacking some charm after lunch as per my intended time in the itinerary?

Thanks all...

Derby
Level Contributor
220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon itinerary (Urgent!!)

definately do market in the morning-you will see such wonderful sights especially if you make fish market days.I would thouroughly recommend the Secret Itineray tour but you know Venice is so romantic just to wander and get lost in .We (myhubby of 15 years & me) have just had a blissful week in Feb doing just that and can recommend -enjoy!!!