We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

This route seems like a convenient one for us to get to our apartment near the San Marcuola vaporetto landing. are there any other routes and/or methods we should consider instead? Also, is it possible to remain on the Alilaguna boats after they reach the end of their routes and begin the return trip? It occurred to me that if we remained on the arancio boat until it passed the San Marcuola landing on the RETURN trip, we would effectively get a tour of much of the Grand Canal for the price of our Alilaguna ticket. My guess is that we would need a round trip ticket, but I thought I would ask here to get clarification. Thanks.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

there is a better stop for san marcuola....it is the one that stops at guglio...can't remember what line this is but it is a short no bridge walk to san marcuola which is where we lived and how we told all our friends to take....the walk to our apartment in front of the san marcuola church was less then 5 minuets...you can ask the people you are renting from exactly how you do this....

you cannot stay on the alliguna after your stop...

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

Thanks for the feedback. We do plan to use the Guglie stop to reach our apartment-much closer than any of the others on the Linea Arancio. I had hoped we could remain on the boat, catch the Guglie stop on the Arancio boat's return trip to the airport, and thereby get a tour of the Grand Canal without having to disembark. However, two r/t tickets is starting to get into the realm of other options like shared water taxis, so it may not be as cost effective as I had hoped.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

It is still the Arancia line that stops at the Guglie. ( Its doesn't even stop at San Marcuola were you thinking of getting off at Rialto?)- That is your nearest stop I agree with Venice J ( There was somebody in your old flat J!!!!)

NO you can't stay on and then get off when it does its 'return'- Also it might be a different boat that goes back to the airport .

Your other alternative is to take a land bus to Piazzale Roma and then line No1 on the vaporetto to San Marcuola.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,332 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

The Arancio line does not go that far down the Grand Canal, much better to go on the No,1 Vaporetto, too see the Grand Canal Palaces,

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

Thanks for the feedback. The No. 5 bus to Piazza Roma, followed by the No.1 boat to San Marguola, was the method recommended by our apartment rental contact, but I thought the Alilaguna Arancio offered an interesting (but potentially slower) alternative for entering Venice our first time, since it is all by boat and only involves one disembark at the Guglie landing. There also appears to be a very wide street (Rio Tera San Leandro) that connects the Guglie landing to the neighborhood we will by staying in, which would hopefully help with the wheeled suitcases. Sounds like we should leave the Grand Canal cruise for another time, or at least for another boat.

Edited: 03 April 2010, 17:48
manchester
Level Contributor
411 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

Am also thinking of using the orange line from Marco Polo to Rialto- is it quicker by bus and vap- given that we will have 3 suitcases to manhandle. I thought it might be to difficult with the on / off loading of suitcases. Is there much of a time difference and what ( if any) are the benefits of each?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,332 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

I would think there isa very little time differance, and it is straight forward, and as you are staying on the SanMarco side of the Bridge,it is ideal,

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

I am confused when you say you are thinking of using the orange line from san marco to rialto.....ar you talking about a separate trip....the allilaguna lines are strictly for airport to destination points or destination to airport...they are not like the vaporettos....

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,332 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alilaguna Arancio-Marco Polo to San Marcuola

The other person say's the Arancio from Marco Polo to the Rialto,

Jil still early in the day for you Happy Easter,

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor