We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Fussen

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
214 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Fussen

What's the best way to get from Venice to Fussen? We don't have a ton of time, so I'd like to get there fairly quickly. However, I know that the scenery will be lovely and would consider a longer journey through scenic areas if that is recommended.

We are considering taking a train to Garmisch or Munich and then renting a car from there. Munich would be better because we'll be flying out of Munich after Fussen. Any tips on trains to take/avoid or how long that would take?

We are also considering taking a train from Venice to Fussen and were wondering how many interchanges would be necessary. A night train is not an option, so are there departures at other times of day?

Thanks for your help!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,931 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Fussen

Train schedule www.bahn.de Top of page for english translation.

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Fussen

Thanks, Nurioopta. Do you think taking the train is a better plan?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Fussen

Because of a change in the Italian Rail operators last year (December) there is little or in some cases no co-operation between Italian rail and adjacent countries Rail services and Info. There is one overnight train to Munich from Venice operated by Die Bahn. Most Intercity crossborder rail services are operated by co-operation between the German Die Bahn www.bahn.de and Austrian www.oebb.at and are responsible for Intercity services from German/Austria as far as Verona. If you decide to take the train other than the overnight I would suggest getting an Italian ticket (locally) to Verona and then booking Verona to Munich on the www.bahn.de website.

That said however you haven't said when you would like to travel. Please note Lufthansa offer a lot of €99 ticket offers round Europe and I have previously found offers on the Venice-Munich route (bettter to buy a return and not use it)

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Fussen

Thank you for the response, giftzwerg. I spent the evening searching through train options and everything I've found involves several transfers and extensive travel time. Overnight trains are also a logistical nightmare for us because we are a family of 5 (children outnumber the adults!).

I was surprised to learn that it is only a 5.5 hour drive from Venice to Fussen and have decided to go that route instead. Renting a car in Italy and returning it in Germany is not cheap, and finding a car with an automatic transmission that will seat 5 comfortable is pretty hard as well, but I found a few possibilities.

I'd rather drive than fly, even though I'm sure it will cost us more. We're already flying from Paris to Rome and just don't enjoy air travel as much as ground transport, especially in a place as beautiful as Italy/Germany!

Any tips on driving from Venice to Munich (scenic roads to use, roads to avoid, etc?). My plan was to go via Innsbruck and Garmisch, since both are places I'd like to see anyway.

Thanks for your help!

Edited: 08 April 2010, 11:29
USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Fussen

I am planning on driving from Venice to Fussen in June and have asked for some reviews of such a trip without any responses unfortunately. I was hoping that someone could offer some perspective of what to expect from this drive. Is it an easy drive? Hard drive? True amount of time to drive it, etc.

I am planning on going from Venice through Cortina, Innsbruk, and straight to Fussen. I was thinking of going through Garmish, but I felt that the day would be long enough and going straight from Innsbruk to Fussen would be a quicker route.

When are you planning on making that drive?

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Fussen

We will be making the drive the first week of August. There's a great website (www.viamichelin.com) that was a big help in terms of judging potential routes and travel time. If you don't know how to drive a manual car and/or have a large family, rental cars are really hard to find. Most companies won't let you pick up in Venice and drop off in Munich (or elsewhere in Germany, depending on where you're headed), and the ones that will allow it charge you an arm and a leg. This didn't dissuade us, however, since the train options involve too many transfers and really long travel time.

Haven't decided on a specific route yet, so keep me posted if you come up with good route ideas.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Fussen

Should you decide to use public transport, you could take an alternate route as follows (instead of going by train all the way):

Day 1 - Venice to Innsbruck, about 5 hours by train, only one change in Verona;

Day 2 - Innsbruck to Garmisch by train, hence to Fussen by RVO bus; about 3 hours total.

Stopping en route at Innsbruck to break the long trip might be a good idea, as it is a charming town.

Johns Creek, GA
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Fussen

I will definately let you know what I find tripletmom. I am planning the Venice - Cortina - Innsbruk - Fussen route unless someone has some reason that I should not go that way. leaving Venice early in the morning should get us to Fussen before dark.

I am picking up the rental car in Munich and driving to Salzburg - Venice - Fussen and back to to Munich in a little over two weeks. Lots of driving, but I want to be able to take the scenic routes and stop when I want. So rental car cost is not an issue for me.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Fussen

You might not be aware that you need to buy a vignette (road tax sticker) for your rental car in Austria:

tolltickets.com/country/…

Venice to Fussen is a long drive in one day for kids. Can you break it up by spending the night in Bolzano?

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice to Fussen

So glad you posted the link for the road tax sticker because my first thought was that it would be outrageously expensive. Looks like less than 10 euros if I read the site correctly. Just a different way to collect tolls than what I'm used to in the states, but certainly an understandable charge. Thanks for the heads up!

My girls are pretty good in the car. 3-4 hour drives are pretty routine on our vacations in western U.S. However, given the size of European cars and the ever increasing height of my teens, I do agree that we'll need to break it up to avoid bloodshed in the backseat. Looks like our route will bring us near Verona, Innsbruck, and Garmisch. Any suggestions for quick sightseeing stops in any of those places (or elsewhere along the way? Cable cars up to mountaintops in Innsbruck area look interesting and might be a nice way to stretch our legs and grab lunch or dinner. Any thoughts?