We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

This is our 4th trip to Venice. But this time, we have a mobility problem. My husband's knee replacement has left him with only 75% flex. So stairs - esp going down- are a problem. And pulling luggage up and down over bridges as we have done in the past is no longer possible.

Having read umpteen hotel reviews in the past, I recall that there was the odd one or two that was located close enough to the P Roma bus station that one could access without the bridges.

Any ideas or suggestion for us? We would like to stay 3 nights before our Oct cruise if possible. He can make it fine over a few bridges without luggage for some leisurely walking around. We are hoping to enjoy Venice again! Oh yes, we are retired and on a budget so a water taxi is out of the question. B&B / 2 Star Hotels are fine.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,245 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

This site lists Hotels in the Piazzale Roma area, I can commiserate with you, the Bridges !!!,

You could check these Hotels see which have lifts etc, you a looking early you should find something, and by then the knee should be improved,

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

Hi Brahmama,

When is your trip? I went to Venice in my wheelchair a while back and am about to add accessible hotels to my website. I'm busy planning another trip so I want to make sure I get the info before you leave...

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,573 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

If you wish to take a Hotel which requires crossing no bridges when walking you are very definitely restricting your choice.

What you can do is take a water bus with impunity as you will find the deck is flush with the landing stage so that wheelchairs can roll on and off so your husband's knee will not find it difficult. Lots of good Hotels within easy level walking of the water bus landing stage ranging from the luxurious but expensive Gritti Palace to the more reasonable and very good La Calcina.

You husband should take comfort - I walk with the aid of a stick, thanks to a combination of age and old rugby injuries. I find bridges fairly slow work but people are very good about keeping out of my way. Even better, there are lots of lovely cafes and bars to sit and have a drink and a rest.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

Thanks Sophie,

This an interesting site and I am emailing a couple of the hotels within our price range. Thanks!

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

We're leaving the last week in October, so still a ways off yet. Will uses a cane when on walking trips (and at home in the pasture tending the cattle!) but is very careful with the knee. I'll be very interested to read your trip report before we go.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

Thank you Robert for your email. Will also uses a stick when walking and in a situation that might be dangerous. His injury started with a bull ride when he was young and immortal - rather like Rubgy players I think!

It's a good idea about taking the water vaporettas and we have enjoyed them in the past, but I must say they were very crowded on some rides.

Our initial problem will be, as you have gathered, finding a hotel that we can get to (and from) with cruise luggage within our boundaries. We will be traveling with a younger couple, and the man is very helpful, but of course we do not wish to impose on him.

We haven't been to Venice is about 3 years so we are ready for a return visit!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

Have a look at Al Campaniel. It's very close to the San Toma vaporetto stop, no bridges, in the Frari wheelchair-accessible area, and inexpensive. There are only a few steps up to the ground floor, and there's a ground-floor double with private (not en-suite) bath.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

This sounds great. I'll google it up.

Off the subject but....On the website links for accessible walks, I esp loved the one - St. Marta? I think. I had read "Miss Garnet's Angel" by Salley Vickers and enjoyed it so much I re-read it (very unusual for me) and the next time we were in Venice we went over to the Raphael Church. Unfortunately, it was covered with scaffolding and we were unable to enter it, but I'd love to do a repeat visit. And it was a "real" neighborhood. I'm sure you have read this book; if not you simply must as it's all about Venice and a great read besides.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

My wife uses an electric scooter to get around so I know of where you speak. When booking a hotel, don't just ask if they have a lift. Depending on how many stairs your husband can comfortably do (after all, who wants to use your kneee energy in the hotel if you'll need it for sight-seeing?), be sure to ask the following:

1. Are there any stairs between the entrance and the lift? If so, how many?

2. Are there any stairs between the lift and the bedroom when you get to your floor? How many?

3. Does the lift access the breakfast room? If there are stairs, how many?

4. If the lift doesn't go to the breakfast room, will the hotel deliver breakfast to your bedroom?

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice Hotel Room WITHOUT Bridges!

hotelalleon.com/location/how-to-reach-us/…

Once you get off the vaperetto, you do not have to cross a bridge. The hotel is very close to San Marco Sq. If you need the desk clerk to carry your bags upstairs, he will (I would also tell them in advance). There isn't a lift and there are stairs...however if he can make it up the first flight, you can request the 1st floor. Not sure if that would work for you or not? You can walk to most places without large bridges, or you can take the vaperetto to different neighborhoods and skip more stairs. I don't remember the stairs being steep and I think there weren't that many. You can always email and ask them to count the stairs and make your decision based on that.