We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Itinerary - The First Version

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bombay, India
Level Contributor
395 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
My Itinerary - The First Version

Hello. I have just started building my itinerary for Venice. My fiancé & I arrive on October 14, at 12noon & leave on October 19, approximately 11am. We are not early risers (on holidays), like a leisurely breakfast and generally will not rush through activities, if we can help it. Please excuse the fact that the itinerary sounds amateurish, since I’ve just started planning...

October 14

Arrive at the hotel by 2pm. It’s a toss up between American Dinesen in Dorsoduro & Ala in San Marco. On this day, we shall take it easy after a looonnnggg journey... maybe take a trip (vaperato?) along the Grand Canal. And as advised, ‘get lost’ in Venice... Ummm, what direction shall we get lost in? : )

October 15

San Marco. Secret Itineraries Tour + Doge’s Palace. The Basilica. What else in this area should we do?

October 16

Museums. Accademia & Peggy Guggenheim. I believe these are in close proximity to each other. What are the other ‘must see’ museums?

October 17

Islands. Murano & Burano.

October 18

Rialto Bridge / Market. Churches. Frari & Scuola San Rocco. What are the other ‘must see’ churches?

October 19

Pick up a car from Piazzale Roma & drive to Tuscany.

As mentioned, this is the very early version of my itinerary. I look forward to hearing your opinions on the order of activities & suggestions for what else we should do. Once I have a basic plan in place, I shall research all the activities thoroughly. Thank you!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

Too early to comment on your itinerary,

AlthoughI have stayed at the Ala, I would think the American is preferable, a quieter location,

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
395 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

Thank you... I have read your previous posts with opinions on Ala... When you say too early... ?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

I think your itinerary looks nice and leisurely, not too much crammed in. My suggestions are: You can reserve a time for San Marco on this website: venetoinside.com/en/basilica_of_san_marco/. FYI: the lights go on inside the basilica around 11:30-12:30 and the mosiacs are absolutely breathtaking. You can then either go to the top of the Campanile (it has an elevator) for a view of Venice or my favorite view of Venice is across the lagoon on San Giorgio to the top of the campanile (also has an elevator).

In conjunction with visiting the Accademia and Peggy Guggenheim museums you might want to just walk around that area. A pleasant walk is from the Salute waterbus stop around the Dogana to the Zattere, and then go up a side streets to the gondola workshop. You can also walk to the San Barnaba area, and on to the Santa Margherita area. I also enjoyed a visit to Ca Rezzonico but you don't want to cram to many inside visits in one day.

I also enjoyed a visit to Torcello (the furthest lagoon island, a little past Burano) There are 2 churches there that are well worth the extra effort to get there.

I probably wouldn't schedule anything else on your last day but what you've already listed.

I assume you know you can get discounted vaporetto passes at the website: www.veniceconnected.com. You need to order them at least 1 week ahead of time and must pick them up for the date you order them for. The pass is valid from the time you pick it up.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 20:45
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

As far as your hotel choices, we all have our own preferences on the area we like to stay in, but of the two, I like the area the American Dinesen is in (I stayed very close to the Peggy Guggenheim museum) and enjoyed the quietness of that area. If your trip is planned for this year, I would make reservations for a hotel soon. The popular hotels fill up quickly.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 21:02
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

By too early I was meaning get the Hotel sorted, an itinerary has plenty of time to be worked out,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,223 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

I personally disliked the Peggy Guggenheim, despite the fact that I enjoy quite a lot of modern art. I felt it to be overpriced and then you had to pay a substantial amount extra for a small printed guide to the art, and I think that may have left an annoyance that coloured the rest of my visit. Whatever, I think you have a lovely itinerary picked out and I am glad to see San Rocco included. Last visit we very much enjoyed the tour of the historic ghetto and synagogues of Venice and it was a very quiet area, away from the crowds.

I too enjoy the campanile of San Giorgio and I love Salute as a church, she always reminds me of a pregnant lady.

There are some musical evenings in some of the churches and palaces that might be worth investigating and we had the best ever meal in Venice at the tiny Il Ridotto chowhound.chow.com/topics/602734 but make sure you book, only 5 internal tables.

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
395 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

Thank you... : )

Ljaguar, excellent suggestions! I have already considered going to San Giorgio v/s the Campanile at San Marco. I was planning to add Salute to my list, so will walk the area you recommend.

Hello, Lynn : ) : ) : ) ... I have added the Il Ridotto to my list... I had read in your previous posts about visiting the Jewish ghetto area, just don't know when to fit it in or what to group it with geographically... on the Peggy Gunggenhiem, i am actually quite taken with a post i read that encourages spending time outdoors, wandering around and 'getting lost'... so we may not be able to do more than the Accamdemia, in any case... unfortunately, i'm too much of a planner to allow the 'getting lost' in the truest sense...

Thanks, guys... always a little overwhelmed when i start researching a new city... could not do it with you...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,223 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

We got nicely lost around Cannereggio after the ghetto. Sat on a canal edge and watched the reflections in the water, investigated the local restaurants (went to Stellato Anice for lunch) saw the figures of the Moors on the corner posts near Tintoretto's house, saw Madonna del Orto church etc.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

This is it Lynn, good to get lost and come lovely places you would maybe otherwise miss, good sometimes not to plan, agree you should for places which are "must Do " but good to be impromptu,

10. Re: My Itinerary - The First Version

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 06:29