We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice flooding

England
5 posts
Save Topic
Venice flooding

Hi, we're due to be going to Venice for our 25th anniversary next week but saw on the news a few days ago that the centre of Venice was badly flooded, to a height of 1.40 metres - we saw pictures of people wading around in water up to their thighs! Does anyone have any up to date information about the present level of flooding and whether this is making it difficult to get around and whether any of the buildings have been closed as a result? Any info greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Brownsburg-Chatham...
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice flooding

This is aqua alta or high tides. They only last a couple of hours and actually add to your memories of Venice. This generally happens only in the St. Mark's area as well.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice flooding

Yes, I was there last Saturday, and it was not only St Marks Square. Some streets were flooded too, especially those going up to the Lista di spagna and train station. Locals are very well organised with wellingtons and waders, and tying binliners over their shoes! I got stranded for a while, they don't put duckboards everywhere, then I waded through fairly low level of water in streets and got soggy shoes socks and legs! It went down about mid day. So yes I'd take wellies if I were you- or some plastic binliners instead! It wasn't dangerous, in fact the locals were quite amused, but walking around in wet feet isn't too good!

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
592 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice flooding

You can see firsthand by looking at the live webcams. It's fun and might be helpful for you. There's one pointing right at San Marco.

http://www.comune.venezia.it/webcam/

England
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice flooding

Thanks for your replies everyone - I managed to post this query twice so got double the help!

The wellies are packed (but can't help wishing I had a more stylish alternative!)

Thanks again

Steph