We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for the 'real Venice'

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bewdley, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for the 'real Venice'

I'm going back to Venice in August after several years. I would love to see more about historic everyday life in Venice. I have been to the main churches, Doges Palace etc etc in the past and will definitely revisit, but I wondered whether there are any Palazzos or houses that are open to the public?

I would love to see more about how the normal Venetians lived (either the aristocratic or more normal people).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Nick

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

The Ca Rezzonico is a museum of 18th-century art housed in a historic palazzo on the Grand Canal. The Goldoni Museum is housed in a historic palace, as is the Fortuny Museum. The Palazzo Mocenigo Museum (near San Stae) houses a textile collection and probably comes closest to being a "house museum".

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

Really to see how ordinary Venetians live, just get away from the touristy areas, Venice is not big you do not have to go far, to see everyday life in the City,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

I think the quest is historical, how they lived, not how people currently live. My favourite thing is to walk at night and look up. You see all these lovely frescoed ceilings lit up. I like to imagine...

We stayed in Palazzo Zennobio, one of the largest palazzi in Venice, which has an amazing hall of mirrors where they hold one of the major balls of the Carnevale. Sometimes they allow visits. The residential rooms are now low cost accommodation.

I know there are other places to visit, but can't help with how you access them.

Have fun searching and get back to us.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

The Palazzo Querini Stampalia museum is also a sort of reconstruction of a noble household of the 1700s, and while a relatively realistic reconstruction, has little to do with any sort of "real Venice" of today, and was probably quite exceptional even in its origins.

www.querinistampalia.it/museo/index.html

It is beautiful and very well done, with the entrance area and inner garden for the adjacent galleries renovated in the 50s by Carlo Scarpa.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

I way to combine wonderful music with the stunning interior of an historic Venetian palace is to go to a performance at Musica a Palazzo (/www.musicapalazzo.com). Best to book on-line

Bewdley, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

Many thanks for the replies so far. There are some suggestions that I will definitely follow up.

To clarify, I am interested in seeing and learning about the lifestyle of historic Venetians, so reconstructed households etc is probably along the right line.

There seems to be a lack of the more ethnographic element in Venice. It would be fantastic to have one of the main houses on the Grand Canal open to the public showing what 18th century life was life for a merchant of that era.

Otherwise, I do love getting off the beaten track (particularly in August!), but the archaeologist in me wants to learn about the people and their material culture!

It looks as though the Museo Correr might be the best in this line. Any other ideas?

Many thanks to all who have helped!

Nick

london
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

Hi,

Another possibility might be this:

palazzogrimani.org/palazzogrimani/home.html

I ought to come clean and say that I haven't actually visited it as, despite my best intentions and staying directly opposite on Campo Santa Maria Formosa, we got sidetracked doing other things! However it is high on my "must do"s for the next trip, so, if you do go, some feedback would be much appreciated.

I second the recommendation for Palazzo Mocenigo and the wonderfully atmospheric Fortuny Musem (though I have a suspicion the latter may be closed for restoration).

Happy travels.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,099 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

I would second the Correr Museum too, great selection of coins, which I find fascinating ( sad but true)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

Fair enough you want the historic Venice, but there is still a "real Venice " away from the well worn tourist tracks,

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for the 'real Venice'

Sophie, That is blatantly unfair.

*None* of the historic palaces/museums mentioned so far - Ca Rezzonico, Museo Goldoni, Museo Fortuny, Palazzo Mocenigo, Palazzo Zenobio, Palazzo Querini-Stampalia, Museo Correr, Palazzo Grimani - is on the "well-worn tourist tracks". Correr and Rezzonico are the most visited, but I've never seen them crowded. At Goldoni, Fortuny, Mocenigo and Quadri-Stampalia I've often been one of less than a dozen people. As I understand it, Grimani has restricted access and the palatial parts of Zenobio are only accessible during special events.