We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One afternoon in Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pHILADELPHIA
Level Contributor
28 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
One afternoon in Venice

We are cruising out of Venice on a Sunday. Arriving at airport at 10 am. How far is the cruise port from the airport or St. Marks Square? We hope to be able to sightsee for a few hours before we have to be at the ship at 5pm. Would a private driver be the way to go?

Never been to Venice, but have read about the water taxis as a method.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One afternoon in Venice

You can take the public water transit to Venice, but I believe it is incredibly special to arrive in Venice via a private water taxi .... you will feel like a million dollars. The walk to the taxi pier plus the journey itself will take 45 minutes roughly. You can have it take you directly to the San Marco area to see the Basilica and its Museum (which is worthwhile too) and those two will only take 1.5 hours together.

That will still give you time to do the Secret Itineraries tour of the Doges Palace too (another 1 to 1.5 hours). Alternatively, you could skip the Doges Palace and just walk from San Marco to the Castello, Dorsoduro or San Polo areas for a couple of hours and soak in Venice that way. Then take public vaporetto or water taxi back to where you need to check in with your cruise.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One afternoon in Venice

If it were me I would take the ATVO express bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma. It leaves frequently from just outside the airport doors and takes only 20/25 mins to P.R.. There is plenty of space for luggage and it costs 3e

At P.R. you could store your luggage and then hope on the waterbus for a very beautiful ride down the Grand Canal and get off at St.Marks Square. When you are ready to claim your luggage you can then proceed to your ship via shuttle,if they provide one, or land taxi or the new people mover a bargain at 1e.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One afternoon in Venice

I would agree with travelrr here, take a bus from outside the Arrivals terminal to Piazzale Roma, there is a left luggage office there, the Bus takes 25 minutes,

To go by Alilaguna ferry takes an hour and a quarter,,I really would not bother with the S.I. tour with such little time, you could then walk back to Piazzale Roma via the Rialto, it is very well sign posted,

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One afternoon in Venice

Heck, I forgot you had bags (was obviously not thinking clearly) so I would actually agree with Travelrr also. Whether you take vaparettos from there or private water taxis is up to your budgetary/spending points of view. Although you have time to do the S.I. tour of the Doges Palace (and it is quite nice), whether you do it versus just walking the town is truly up to what you wanted to check off on your touring list.

pHILADELPHIA
Level Contributor
28 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One afternoon in Venice

thanks for the advice. I am comfortablve now we can find a place for the luggage and get around to see major sights and get back in time for the cruise.

6. Re: One afternoon in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2011, 05:16