We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I feel like I am still on a boat!!

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
I feel like I am still on a boat!!

Hi

We were in Venice for 4 days and left a week ago - I still feel like I am rocking/moving - we spent a lot of time on boats or standing on the moving platform waiting on the vaporetto. Has anyone else ever experienced this - I don't feel seasick just like I am still moving!!! very strange feeling!

ps - I wish I was still there on a boat.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

This happens to a lot of people after a cruise too. If it doesn't pass after a couple of weeks, it may be worth checking with your doctor. It's usually an inner ear issue.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

Yes, I have a motion sickness problem anyway so I usually feel that swaying back and forth for a few days after being on the water. Hopefully, that sensation will go away soon for you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

When I came back from a month in Europe I experienced the same feeling. I would suggest going to see your doctor, mine turned out to be vertigo - something to do with your inner ear. Feeling dizzy and nauseous. Hope you're feeling better soon!

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

sunshine. We travel frequently by train and my wife feels that same things for a day or two after. The only good thing is it will pass.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

You will have to get your land legs back, !

The landing stages of Vaporetti are especially MOVING.

basildon
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

I suffer from vertigo, but this was initially caused by 'Labrynthitis' an infection of the inner ear, and if you are suffering from this there will be more symptoms than just rocking or swaying, such as nausea, slight or marked fever, aching limbs, and disturbed/distorted vision. It sounds to me as if it is just a hang-over from a form of motion sickness rather than vertigo, for my daughter who suffers from sea sickness felt like you describe for almost a week when we took a rather stormy sea crossing to France one year.

But a trip to the GP, as others have suggested, is called for if it doesn't pass or if any of the other symptoms I mentioned kick in.

Hope you soon return to terra firma.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,469 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

Whilst I often have attacks of vertigo I have to say that in all my many visits to Venice I have never found either the landing stages or the vaporetti a problem. Private water taxis are a very different matter, On them I often feel queezy, almost certainly because they are very much faster than the vaporetti and bounce over the wake of other boats buit I withstand the inconvenience as they are so convenient when travelling between one's Hotel and Marco Polo and vice versa.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

I had exactly the same problem after two weeks in Venice, a large part of which was spent using the Vaporetti. It lasted for a couple of weeks; we cruise frequently, and the only time I've ever encountered it before was when I went ashore after 24 hours in a Force 10.

UK
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

Thank you all for replying - at least I know I am not alone! The funny thing is I didn't feel like this while in Venice - only once we got to Sorrento and it has got worse each day. I don't like this feeling too much - will go to GP at end of week if no better.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I feel like I am still on a boat!!

Sunshine

May be missing Italy syndrome, dont mean to be flippant, hope you feel better soon,