We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 or 12 days?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
7 or 12 days?

My wife and I are looking at booking a trip for Venice in March 2011. the price to stay for 12 days is only $100 more than the 7 day trip we were originally looking at.

We are adept at pointless wandering and would love to take some day trip on the train, but are wondering is 12 days too much?

Thanks all, any suggestions for day trips would also be appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 or 12 days?

What's $100 more? The flight or the hotel room? I can't imagine it would be just $100 more to stay an additional 5 nights.

12 days is a long time in Venice especially if you haven't explore other parts of Italy before.

Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 or 12 days?

Yep, amazing isnt it?

I exaggerate a little, the difference in the airfare plus hotel is $123. AMEX has amazing deals at times.

We tend to travel slowly, quietly, to take multiple days in between day trips. Im happiest camped at a table with good wine and snackies for hours on end people watching to unwind. 12 days may indeed be too much, but for the money Im starting to think Id rather be bored in Venice than at home.

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 or 12 days?

Your trip sounds fantastic. Definitely 12 Days!! No question about it. We were in Venice 3 times. 1- 1/2 days, 5 days, 12 days. And hopefully we will be back next year for another 10 nights,.

We spent much time unwinding at table with wine; it was great. Go for it!!

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 or 12 days?

Were you to get bored, you need not stay bored, particularly in August in Venice.

You can always spend a day at Lido at the beach, or out to the islands, or take day trips to Treviso, to Padova, to Verona or Vicenza, or Caorle or Chioggia, or Udine or Trieste, or up towards the mountains to Bassano...

Or just wander leisurely around Venice a little more stopping often for gelati....

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 or 12 days?

Go for it! Many people who post on the Venice forum have been back for multiple trips (I've only been 3 times for a total of 15 days) and Venice is definitely the perfect place to camp out at a table and enjoy the laid-back ambience. Besides, after you get a guide book and realize how much there is too see in Venice, you won't regret spending that much time in Venice. There are many day trips you can take (the lagoon islands of Murano, Burano and Torcello) plus Verona, Padua and Vicenza that will more than keep you busy. But to me Venice isn't really all about doing things (and there is a lot to do) but more about getting to know and experience this incredibly wonderful unique city.

Edited: 26 September 2010, 23:09
Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 or 12 days?

Wow... fastest forum I have yet to post on.

Its a done deal. 12 days were just booked.

Thanks!

Mark

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 or 12 days?

Terrific. There is something really special about being able to go to a beautiful destination and just immerse yourself without feeling a need to rush everywhere.

Enjoy - you will love it....

Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 or 12 days?

Yay! Good decision. Just sink into that wonderful city and all it offers to the people who are lucky enough to spend more than a couple of days there. let us know your impressions, please.

9. Re: 7 or 12 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 06:16