We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days is enough?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How many days is enough?

Hi everyone. I'm an experienced solo traveler who enjoys exploring great cities on foot. My focus is not so much on museums, as observing the culture, shopping for foods and wine, seeing the architecture, watching the people, etc. I typically rent an apartment, and do most of my own cooking.

My question is how many days can one spend in Venice in the above type format without being ready to move-on. As examples, I just returned from 30 days in Paris, and would have enjoyed extending the visit. Ten days in Rome a couple of years back yielded the same result; on the other hand, three days into a seven day stay in Athens, I would have been happy to leave, having gotten little joy from areas of the city other than the obvious must-sees.

So, for you fellow wanderers, is Venice a "one week" city, a "one

month" city, or something in between. Thanks for your help -- I plan to schedule the trip for May or September, so weather should not be a factor.

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
277 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days is enough?

My guess is that a week to 10 days is about the right amount of time, maybe 2. I adore Venice, have been 4 times. I guess it's hard to say,though, because not everyone loves it. I have a few friends who spent a year studying there and never got bored, so...

I've spent 6 months each in London on 2 separate occasions and have spent a few days there just about every year for the last 20 yrs -- I could live there the rest of my life and never get bored. I could easily spend 6 months in Paris and not exhaust it. But Venice is a lot smaller.

One day in Athens was plenty for me, btw.

Enjoy it!

Chicago
Level Contributor
396 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days is enough?

I was in Venice earlier this year for five nights - and I left wishing I could have stayed longer. We love to wonder by foot and enjoy exploring the different areas. However, we do visit churches and museums so that takes extra time. Although we loved Venice, we did not enjoy the throngs of people who crowded the popular tourist areas - especially St. Mark's Square and surrounding area. Every morning people from cruise ships unload near St. Mark's Square - and we found ourselves fighting the crowds just to cross the bridge. If you can avoid the crowds - hopefully you will love Venice as much as I did.

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days is enough?

Have been to Venice on 6 occasions (of varying amounts of time 1 day to a week) and next trip I hope would be for 2 weeks or if at all possible financially, for a month!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days is enough?

Thanks 'travelprop', good question! We're thinking of doing Venice for seven days next year and our travel approach is much like yours with the exception that we stay at a hotel. My sugestion for you is to pick up 'Death at La Fenice' (A Commissario Guido Brunetti Mystery, by Donna Leon! And if it pleases you, start reading the rest of her Brunetti books...in order of course! Most are quite enlightening, charming, and easy reads. Good Luck...hope you have a great trip.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days is enough?

The way you have travelled in the past I would say a minimum of 1 week. We were in Venice for a week in May and did not want to leave.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days is enough?

It depends on you ....I lived there for 2 years and it was not enough....I loved Paris too and was there a year and it was not enough so it depends on you...who you meet what you like to do and its proximity to other places that are easy to get to....maybe find a place for 2 weeks that you can extend so if after a week you know you need more you can and if not you are not stuck....

Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days is enough?

venice J has provided a sensible answer. It's so difficult to know if you're going to love or loathe a place, until you've had some time there. The trick will be to find a place where you can extend, but by planning to go a little off-season, it could be done.

I am another Venice Tragic, and have spent a total of 9 weeks there, during the past 2 years. I'm going back for 6 weeks in March, and am already planning an even longer stay in the winter of 2011.

From your stated travel style, I have a hunch you would like Venice and its environs.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days is enough?

a question for all you Venice tragics!

3 adults and 2 teenagers staying in venice for 3 nights.

we want to get away from the touristy areas and explore more out of the way areas. which area is the best to stay in?

am considering renting with Veniceapartments and narrowed my selection down to Cannaregio, Castello and Dorsoduro.

help please as the more I research the more I get confused.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,049 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days is enough?

Venice is very small. You can walk from the railway station, over Rialto Bridge, to St Mark's Square in not much more than 30 minutes if you do not stop to look at things. It really does not matter all that much where you stay.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days is enough?

Any one of those 3 areas could fit your needs. Cannaregio and Castello (at least parts of them) are a touch more residential, perhaps. And, people love staying in Dorsoduro. Can you give us an idea where the apartments are in each area?