We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

Hi,

my wife loves a coffee and a piece of cake in the afternoon. Any recommendations, maybe a plush hotel bar?

Thanks

Torsten

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

Cafe Doge near Rialto...on the rialto side reportedly the oldest cafe in Venice... we loved it....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

You could try something along the Zattere sitting outside along the Giudecca Canal. It's a lovely sunny spot. From the Academia vaporetto stop go to the left of the Academia and follow the calle straight ahead, you'll pass a lovely gondola workshop on your way and when you get to the Zattere turn to your left and there are several places along the water with both indoor and outdoor areas. I had a cappucino and pastry for about 5 euros there. You can sit and watch the world go by.

Can't remember the name of the place and hope to find it my next trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

Opps, my directions are a bit off...from the Academia vaporetto stop go to the right of the Acedamia to pass the gondola workshop.

And you can find coffee bars and cafes anywhere along the Zattere.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,484 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

There are numerous good pastry shops with seating, such as many of the Rosa Salva shops (the one at Campo Santi Giovanni e Paolo has a large seating area inside and more room outside, weather permitting) and Pasticceria Didovich in Campo Santa Marina has wonderful pastries and cakes. But there are many other good pastry shops scattered around the city. Remember that it is normal in all of Italy for the prices to be higher to consume something seated rather than the exact same thing at the counter, and the prices displayed inside the pastry counters are usually the lower counter/take away price. Seated you will pay more, and it is *not* the café trying to take advantage of a tourist, it is completely normal.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 07:29
Surrey
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

For a plush hotel, there is the Danieli. Yes, the coffee and cake will be expensive but you are sitting in a beautiful palazzo and it is ideal choice when it is too cold or wet to sit outside. Lovely big comfy armchairs and a chance to see one of the locations which features heavily in the new film "The Tourist" with Depp/Jolie.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
978 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

Unfortunately Illyria, the Palazzo Pisani-Moretta "stood in" for the Danieli in the film, so the interiors aren't the same!

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

Looking at the film trailer, I am sure I can recognise the Danieli in some of the scenes. I believe the production used various interior locations to represent one hotel, but that some scenes were shot in the Danieli.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
978 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

Pisani-Moretti was "faked up" for most of it - including a complete exterior makeover with signs that must have confused a number of tourists on their way down the Grand Canal looking for the real Danieli!

I also heard last week that everything used in the film was auctioned off in Mestre and women were fighting over the pillows on Johnny's film bed!

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

Interesting about the signs at the fake Danieli, since the real Danieli has hardly any signage - doesn't bode well for Venetian "authenticity" in the film. At least from the film trailer it looks as if they didn't try to fake the Danieli staircase. I had read before t filming started that they would be using the old main post office as a location. Do you know if they did or not? I've looked for it on the film trailer but can't see it. The interior of the building would make a stunning film set (before Benetton transform it.) When "The Tourist" comes out next year, it will be amusing to look for the inevitable glaring errors in the depiction of city,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
978 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice afternoon coffee? Not Florian or Quadri, please.

There were plenty of "second crews" out and about filming local colour - they even changed the signs on the S Angelo vaporetto stop for a couple of mornings and filmed people getting on and off. The Post Office might turn up in those sort of "authenticity" shots, but the only places I know they filmed with Ange and Johnny for certain are: Pisani-Moretta, the railway station (the bit that's in the trailer - I saw that being done and saw Johnny in the flesh, which was exciting!), the Rialto market and somewhere near the Misericordia where they were apparently filming at 3am. There are probably lots of other places too. I'm looking forward to the film too.