We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in Venice?

New York
6 posts
1 review
Best area to stay in Venice?

We will be honeymooning in Venice late May/ early June and would like to stay in an area in Venice where we could go out at night and not walk too far.

Would you be able to recommend a great area? Someplace that would show us Venice for what it truly is?

thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
495 Reviews
from US$75.90*
Best Seller
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,692 Reviews
from US$52.60*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,639 Reviews
from US$78.30*
US$85.30
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Best area to stay in Venice?

Hi, nothing is more than a 30 minute walk or so - I don't think it matters. There is something to be said for staying in each area from what I gather. No one mentions street crime so I don't think that is an issue - I surely never feel vulnerable there. The Venice expert, Robert, will chime in soon and give you more info. I will recommend that you get a map called Streetwise Venice available on Amazon.com - it is a great map with excellent detail and easy to use.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
124 reviews
2. Re: Best area to stay in Venice?

Thanks Kileysmom for committing me!!

I agree, I do not think there is a "best area". The major sites/sights of Venice are scattered over a compact city which is pretty crime free nor am I the least bit sure that there is such a thing as "Venice for what it truly is" - so much depends on your own interests.

As honeymooners I doubt if your interests are the same as mine after 48 of married life. Mine are good food and wine at night and fine art and architecture in the daytime.

For gentle night life, not noisy music, we like the bars and cafes around Campo Santa Margherita in Dorsoduro which is on the edge of the area with several University faculties - this is probably pure nostalgia on my part after a lifetime lecturing.

Late May/early June is a favourite time of ours to be in Venice (we will be in Venice the last week of may this year) as it will be warm enough to eat and drink out of doors most evenings unless we are very unlucky with the weather.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Best area to stay in Venice?

Hey, Robert, how's Lancashire today? We have a beautiful snow here in Anchorage but west of here the wind chill is creating temperatures equal to 40 below zero farenheit! I'm so ready to get on a plane and head for Europe!

Glad I could "advertise" your wonderful knowledge for you! I am always amazed at how much detail you have for Venice and Florence even though you don't live there...I live here and I don't think I have such excellent knowledge to share.

Hope you are headed somewhere wonderful soon! K.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
124 reviews
4. Re: Best area to stay in Venice?

Lancashire is, as it so frequently is in winter, grey and damp. I am told it is good for the complexion, certainly mild. But the weather is only one reason I charge off to the Continent so frequently. At this time of the year I have a strong feeling of "Oh to back in Africa where we started married life all those years ago"

Next stop is Amsterdam for the Rembrandt celebratons and then back to Venice as usual in May. Might even meet up with km06!!

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
5. Re: Best area to stay in Venice?

Dear Robert

I am sending this mail with hope !!! I am off to Venice tomorrow and am very confused as to how I should get from Marco Polo to Canareggio (pls excuse sp). I am heard so many conflicting stories that I am more than a little confused now.

with hope

Kelly (London)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Best area to stay in Venice?

Hi, gurgs - there is a post within the last couple of days - marco polo to san marco, I think, is the title - there was some good info there in case Robert doesn't check anymore today/tonight for you folks! Have a great trip - I'll be in Venice 3 weeks from Saturday and I'm really looking forward to spending a few more days there.

London
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
7. Re: Best area to stay in Venice?

Kileysmu - you are a marvel

Many many thanks - I really appreciate it. Will def check right now.

thanks so so so much

kindest regards

Kelly

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
124 reviews
8. Re: Best area to stay in Venice?

Marco Polo to Cannaregio. If I am not too late you could take the Alilaguna ferry from Marco Polo and get off at Fondamenta Nove (10 euros, I think ). This is in Canareggio but much depends exactly where you are heaidng in Cannaregio. The 41/42 vaporetto also calls at Fondamenta Nove so, if needed, you could pick that up and it will take you to several landing stages in Cannaregio - Madonna dell'Oro; S. Alvise; Tre Archi and Pte. d. Guglia. (The latter two are landing stages in the Cannaregio canal).