We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do People Ever Fish In The Canals?

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Do People Ever Fish In The Canals?

I did not see anyone fishing in the canals when I there on my brief visit but I was wondering if they did.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do People Ever Fish In The Canals?

Yes, I have seen some (generally retired males) that do fish in some of the canals (such as the Canale di Cannaregio). Many more people (with small boats) fish in the lagoon. I have never done this, so am uncertain of any permits or regulations involved.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,341 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do People Ever Fish In The Canals?

Something I have never personally seen,

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do People Ever Fish In The Canals?

I think fishing in the narrow canals would be problematic with all the water traffic going by, although you can see fish in the canals. A lot of fishing takes place along the waterfront in the Arsenale area and also some along the Zattere. I don't think a permit is required.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do People Ever Fish In The Canals?

last time we were in venice during the carnivale,on the sunday when the grand parade of boats were weaving its way up the grand canal, I was standing watching near the santa maria del giglio traghetto crossing, and this old guy who was oblivious to all the pomp and noise,and was quietly fishing through it all(ps. did not see him catch anything lol )

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do People Ever Fish In The Canals?

In October 2008 I observed and said buon giorno to a gentleman fishing in the Grand Canal by the San Marcuola vaporetto stop. I don't know if he caught anything. Aqua Alta (high water) was just coming up.

Michelle

UK
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do People Ever Fish In The Canals?

I once saw a couple of men fishing on the corner of the Canale di Santa Chiara and Grand Canal, just past the Co-op supermarket.

7. Re: Do People Ever Fish In The Canals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 06:17