We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wellies- do i really need them?

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
639 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
wellies- do i really need them?

I appreciate that this has been asked a thousand times, but I have fat legs, as such welly boots are a pain to buy.

Do I bring my own, or go without and sit in a bar should the water rise.

We are staying at Al Ponte Mocenigo and visiting the weeked of 8th February.

Thanks in advance

Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,547 Reviews
from US$75.10*
Dolomite Mountains and Cortina 1-Day...
774 Reviews
from US$194.00*
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,575 Reviews
from US$56.30*
Special Offer
Venice Skip-the-Line: Doges Palace...
699 Reviews
from US$142.70*
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: wellies- do i really need them?

Go without. That part of Venice is rarely flooded.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wellies- do i really need them?

I agree with Zerlina. The odds of aqua alta actually happening while you're there and then it affecting whatever you're visiting on that day are very small. It affects some parts of Venice but usually mostly just the San Marco area and it usually subsides in a few hours so I would not waste space by bringing wellies.

Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,057 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wellies- do i really need them?

Saw some photos recently when that part of Venice was very flooded , but I agree would not bring boots very bulky plastic over boots are cheap and easily available,

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wellies- do i really need them?

I would not bring them...the ones they sell are like plastic to go over your shoes so I would think the size of your legs would not matter....I have been known to go barefoot when caught short...or just sit it out with a "drink" and wait for the water to recede.....

Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: wellies- do i really need them?

Don't worry. Acqua alta is largely at tidal phenomenon which means it only causes problems for a few hours at worse. Plus the environmental factors mean that there is much less chance of it happening in February compared to the last few months.

You are unlikely to get caught anywhere but as you say can always hole up in a bar somewhere. Just keep an eye on the predictions before you go.

Level Contributor
3,680 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wellies- do i really need them?

My opinion is if there is a lot of water, you won't want to go shlosing there with or without boots, just go a differetnt time to the square. I also don't think you would want to go barefoot but people do it.

7. Re: wellies- do i really need them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 08:59