We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantastic new book!

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Fantastic new book!

I have just bought the most amazing new book on Venice. It is called "Secret Venice" and is by Thomas Jonglez and Paola Zoffoli. It was published last year and I bought it on Amazon where it was about £7.

As someone who has visited Venice more than 30 times I was sceptical that it would really provide information on Venice that was not already available in other books and would actually deliver "secrets" of Venice, but it really does.

The book is in a fairly small format, so it can be carried around, but has 400 pages packed with exceptional information accompanied by photos and illustrations. Apparently, the book took five years to research and I can believe it. I am in awe of the people who have put the information together - it's really old-fashioned, on-the-spot ,independent journalism.

The book is divided up into the different areas of Venice, but each "secret" is dealt with separately so you can dip in and out of it easily.

This is probably not a book for the first-time visitor or someone in Venice just for a few days - you could find yourself hardly moving much more than a hundred yards in a day! But for lovers of Venice I think it is a must.

The same publishers already have similar guides to other cities.

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,601 reviews
from US$54.70*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,442 reviews
from US$81.45*
US$88.74
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
718 reviews
from US$188.43*
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
195 reviews
from US$79.02*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,475 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fantastic new book!

Hi illyria2

Thanks for sharing....I'm sure it will benefit other travelers. !

EM.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,846 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fantastic new book!

Sounds good illyria , always something new to find out as you say, ,

I will have to buy a new book case !!!!

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fantastic new book!

Just placed my order. Will be delivered second week in February. I'll have plenty of time to look it over before our next trip this coming September.

Even though it's early, I'm already feeling the excitement of returning to Venice. This week we made our flight arrangements....so I guess the trip is "a go".

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fantastic new book!

Thanks illyria. I will be on the lookout for it. It seems we can never get enough of Venice.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fantastic new book!

Thanks, Illyria1, sounds very interesting.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fantastic new book!

Illyria, remembering your brief but penetrating essay on Jane Austen and Jan Morris I reckon any book recommended by you must be worth getting ;-) I will order it tomorrow!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fantastic new book!

Thanks, Illyria2, I've got that on order through Book Depository in the UK. (They're amazing, good prices and free delivery, even to Australia.) I do look forward to getting my nose into that book. 41 days now.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fantastic new book!

Thanks, ordered it!

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fantastic new book!

Me, too!

It's on the way ;-)

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fantastic new book!

Thanks for the information...I just ordered from amazon for $14. Will be back to Venice in Jan 2012 my 4th time....can't get enough!

dpranne