We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alaska
Level Contributor
819 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Opera?

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a place to experience an opera in Venice? I saw that Musica a Palazzo is nice, but it requires a member card for 50 euro, and I wasn't really in the market for something so expensive. Is it possible to enjoy an opera for more around 30 euro? If so, where?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera?

Have a look at www.classictic.com. There are a few opera performances at the Scuola Grande San Giovanni Evangelista, an even more spectacular venue, for 35 Euro. You may even be able to buy tickets at the door for less, if you're not concerned about guaranteed availability.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera?

I just looked at the link an found -Virtuosi di Venezia: Vivaldi's Four Seasons which sounds like a wonderful concert for Venice. I noticed they play often has anyone one seen this?

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera?

I also see- I Musici Veneziani: Vivaldi - Four Seasons where the musicians dress in period costumes. Has anyone been to either this or the one I mentioned above?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera?

From my personal experience, I thought the "Virtuosi di Venezia" is a better group than "I Musici Veneziani." There's another group "Interpreti Veneziani," they're excellent.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,595 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opera?

The above responses seem to be about orchestral concerts. If you want opera in Venice you need to go to the opera house, La Fenice. But most tickets are a lot more than 30 euros, sadly :-(

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opera?

Oops, I thought the OP wrote #2 and #3, so I assumed that he's also interested in orchestra music.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opera?

I responded to this topic (#3 & #4) as I was looking for Opera while I am in Venice. There will be a ballet and orchestra at La Fenice when I am in Venice but alas, no Opera. I followed the link in post 2 and found some other interesting musical events I had not previously known about some of which are operatic performances other classical music performances. I look forward to some musical culture in Venice.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opera?

oops, actually I was #2 and #3

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opera?

The 50 euro "membership" which is really your ticket to the perfomance for Musica a Palazzo it is well worth the price. I saw two of their perfomances in October of 2008.

It is very much like being at a private party in a palazzo on the Grand Canal (which it is). It is not a theatre and is a very special experience if you enjoy opera. For La Traviata you move from room to room with the players. It is very intimate.

I tried to get a ticket at La Fenice but they were sold out while I was there and the starting price was 100 euros. Opera is not an inexpensive entertainment. Even here in Seattle.

The other productions mentioned which are orchestral or more on the line of chamber music are also lovely.

Michelle

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opera?

"It is very much like being at a private party in a palazzo on the Grand Canal (which it is). It is not a theatre and is a very special experience if you enjoy opera. For La Traviata you move from room to room with the players. It is very intimate."

Wow! that sounds fantastic. La Traviata is one of my favourites and I would love to see a performance like that!