We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice - Opera

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Venice - Opera

Hi,

I am coming to Venice on 31st March for 3 nights and would like to go to the opera - any recommendations?

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,806 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice - Opera

The only 'proper' opera house in Venice is the famous and historic La Fenice. See http://www.teatrolafenice.it/. Looks like they are only doing an orchestral concert that weekend. There are other kinds of opera performance in Venice, I believe, and maybe other posters will be able to tell you about those.

Placitas, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice - Opera

Perhaps you can find something that interests you on this web site:

http://www.musicinvenice.com/

I am looking into this one for our trip this fall:

www.musicinvenice.com/eng/group_event.php…

London
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice - Opera

www.classictic.com

This website contains details of all opera and classical music performances in Venice (and other cities) - check its calendar for your dates.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
79 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice - Opera

At all costs AVOID Musica in Maschera:Opera and Ballet at the Scuola grande dei Carmini.

I have just returned from a perfect six day trip to Venice, to celebrate my 60th birthday. We had the good fortune to see La Boheme at Teatro La Fenice...outstanding...not cheap ... 130 euros for second best seats....but excellent value for a first class performance/experience.

In contrast to our dreadful experience at Musica in Maschera....from start to finish a disorganised nightmare!

Booked the tickets in November, paid for VIP...Front Row seats...45 euros each incl booking fee... ticket is 40 euros. Not cheap!

When we arrived the tickets were not immediately available, unlike at the Fenice, which was very well organised and professional in service delivery!

While we were waiting to be seated we observed others experience difficulty with tickets...had paid for 3 tickets but only 2 seats reserved.

Eventually we were taken to our front row seats.

The seating is not fixed but rather rows of chairs on a flat floor. As we waited for the performance to begin we observed the front row...most expensive seats... grow ...as additional chairs were brought in. On a busy Saturday evening in Carneval the front row was U shaped and we were practically sitting beside the four musicians ... some of the action ...involving the ballerina, the tenor and the soprano... took place behind my line of vision!! I should point out that my line of vision was seriously impaired because of the crude lighting. One dazzlingly bright spotlight, to the left of the musicians, is all that is used and unfortunately it shone directly onto the faces of those of us sitting on the right!! I quickly began to feel uncomfortable and dreaded a migraine being induced, so sat shielding my eyes with my husband's hat, throughout the performance! Both my husband and I had headaches the following day. The Israeli family of 3 sitting beside us sat with their eyes closed, a real shame as it was a granddaughter's 12th birthday treat from her grandparents! Another German guy lifted his chair and moved at the interval!

It would not have been possible for any of the rest of us to move as the hall was packed to capacity.

At the end of the performance the Soprano came to apologise as she could see the distress that the experience had caused us. Unfortunately the organisers of the event were less gracious in their attitude towards and treatment of us! I was keen to share with them my disappointment and dissatisfaction about the situation that had prevailed in an attempt to prevent future unsuspecting patrons from having this dreadful experience. Suffice it to say my words fell on deaf ears! I was very rudely dismissed and told to take the matter up with the owners of the building as they allegedly dictate the lighting. My view is that unscrupulous greed on the organisers' part is the issue. Less tickets should have been sold and the Front Row kept a comfortable distance from the dazzling spotlight!

Apart from the issue of seating, the costumes were rather tired looking....again an indication of greed over provision of a professional service.

The music was good. I particularly liked the harp. The tenor was excellent, the soprano, a lovely person but a bit wobbly in parts and the ballerina, my husband assures me was good!

The only area in which this company excel is marketing...beautiful glossy posters and leaflets, to be found in many hotel foyers! BEWARE....the performance does not meet expectation AND certainly avoid the expensive Front Row seats to the right of the musicians!!

Sorry to rant on but this truly was a painfully disappointing experience in an otherwise perfect visit. I felt exploited and conned!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice - Opera

I can highly recommend Musica Palazzo - website: http://www.musicapalazzo.com/home/lang/en/

You can type in Musica Palazzo in the above search box and read other poster's opinions. In contrast to zhena's experience with Musica in Maschera, Musica Palazzo is a wonderful treat, beautifully done and one of my treasured memories of Venice!

Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice - Opera

We just attended Musica in Maschera, a gift from my father. We had the front center seats in a beautiful historic hall, very small, and with excellent acoustics. The hall is entirely flat, so having front-row seats was worth the extra money. The show itself was mixed. It took a long time for me to get past how utterly cheesy the production is to be able to appreciate the high quality of the performers. The harpist came out first, in a full white mask (is this Venice or Friday the 13th?) and did some weird "acting" and presented my mother with a plastic rose. Then the "ballet dancer" came out and set up some furniture, prominently placing a cheap Venetian mask on a low table and generally dancing about like a fairy. The rest of the musicians (violin, viola, cello) came out in costume with silly masks on, and began to play.

The violinist, cellist, and harpist were excellent. The violist seemed to have just been introduced to his instrument, but was apparently a fast study because by the end of the evening he was playing quite competently. However the fact that he is a large, hairy man wearing a cat mask and a red wig like the Lion's in the Wizard of Oz made it hard to take the whole thing seriously. The ballet dancer was clearly the daughter of the organizer who begged to be allowed to dance, and was unfortunately granted that wish. Her presence was distracting and superfluous.

The tenor and soprano were top notch, and we very much enjoyed their performances, particularly in the second half. Fortunately they did not wear the silly masks.

We had no problems with tickets or seating, and on the whole the evening was a success, although it would have been better without the goofy masks and cheap wigs. We were also frustrated that there was no program, so we didn't know any of the performers' names, or what music to expect. For the price (50 euros a seat) that would not have been an extravagance.

My father and mother were entirely thrilled with the performance, as was my eight-year-old daughter. My husband and I were more skeptical, and even in pain for the first 30 minutes holding in our disdain for the whole affair, but we were eventually won over by the quality of the music. It was, in all, a bizarre evening.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice - Opera

Thanks for this review, we almost booked.

Edited: 01 January 2013, 12:57
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice - Opera

I would also recommend Musica Palazzo. I just returned from Venice and saw a wonderful performance of La Traviata by this company and thoroughly enjoyed it. While perhaps not as grand (or as costly) as La Fenice, the experience of watching a wonderful performance by talented performers inside the rooms of a real Venetian Palazzo is an experience in itself.

9. Re: Venice - Opera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 07:16