We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

Hi,

I am all booked to go to Venice and just wanted a bit of advice!

I have booked Ca Pozzo hotel near the ghetto has anyone stayed here before/know of it and have any tips or advice?

We staying over Valentines and my fiance's birthday and I want to take him for a nice romantic meal can anyone suggest a suitable restaurant that is within a reasonable price range? Will the restaurants be really booked up for Valentines and should I book before leaving?

Finally I am looking at booking a gondola ride with Expedia before leaving is this advisable or should I just do it out there?

Thanks for your help!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

You would certainly not have to prebook a Gondola they are touting for trade everywhere especially around the St Marks area,they really are a expensive luxury, I would put the money to a slap up meal instead

Boston, Ma
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

Dear Sares Our last name is Sares are we related ? Very unusual name.

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

Hi JessJim - no Sares is a nickname I have always had for Sarah! I have never heard of it as a surname - very unusual!

Thanks Sophie - it is about £30 for two people on Expedia is more than that in Venice? Is it not worth it?

Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

Depends how busy it is, you can haggle. Also, bear in mind, as £30 for two does sound cheap, if you book from the UK, then chances are, you'll be on a boat with about 6 other people. If you can afford it, and decide you think it's worth it, then I'd advise just the two of you on a boat.

I don't know, first time I went to Venice, I went on a gondola, and I thought it was excellent. Gets you a real feel for the place. There's nothing like ducking under a bridge, or praying your gondola doesn't tip over when the chap is, literally, climbing the walls trying to get you round a canal corner! Done it once, no need to do it again. Same with having a drink in St Mark's square in the evening. Yes, it's expensive, but there *is* only one St Mark's square, and to be sitting there on a beautiful summers evening, surrounded by wonderful music from the orchestras, then I felt I got my money's worth.

Have a good time!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

Take the gondola ride - probably cheaper to book it in advance - we have done it twice with a group of six people on the gondola and we have found it very comfortable and cheery.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

I really do not agree, no need to prebook a Gondola, the whole point surely is to have it to yourself not a package, I am sure you can negotiate a price, if not take a tragetto , across the Grand Canal at several points, a Gondola which the locals use for a fraction of a Euro, a good way to get across the canal, and tourist sit locals stand,

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

We went to Venice in 1990 - no gondola trip cause my husband thought too expensive. He heard about it for 15 years until we went back last summer 2005. We went to a gondolier and paid 100 Euro. In my opinion, it was good to wait until we wanted to do the ride instead of booking in advance, you never know exactly what your schedule will be and the whole point of visiting Venice is to just take it easy. No schedule, just enjoy. Take the long gondola ride - I have heard since we were there that the price is regulated, but the gondoliers won't tell you that and they say anywhere from 80-100 euros. Totally worth every penny! Make sure you get one who will sing to you before you get in. Also, see if your hotel has you on a canal, it is so wonderful to have your window open and hear the singing gondoliers below your room. We had a wedding party go under ours.

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

Oh, and another thing... Wear really comfortable shoes that can get wet and dry out right away, February will probably be kinda wet. We were there in March and then in July. March was less crowded, but colder. If and when I get to go again, I will shoot for the earlier, cooler, and less crowded time - like you!

Another thing that we did on the last trip was shop too much. We were going into every store, they all have the same things, so I would narrow it down to a maximum of about 2 hours shopping over a 3 day period if possible.

Some of the glass is beautiful, but if you see something that you love, don't keep looking for the same thing at a better price, just bite the bullet and get what you want. We saw a glass horse that I wanted - then we kept looking in stores to find it again and couldnt remember where we saw it the first time, so I never got the horse I wanted - they had a lot, but not the color I was looking for.

UK
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

My favourite restaurants in the Cannaregio area near the Ghetto are: Da Beppi, Salizzada D. Pistor - relaxed family run restaurant serving traditional Venetian cuisine; Trattoria all'Antica Mola, Fondamenta degli Ormesini - family run, well prepared local cuisine; Trattoria Tre Spiedi, Salizzada San Canciano - rustic setting, friendly and helpful service, lovely Venetian cuisine; Osteria Al Milion, Corte Primera al Milion - little more upmarket, friendly service, excellent cuisine.

London
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Venice in a few weeks, some info needed!

Ohhhhhh lots of good info, thanks!

KirkandMimi, funny you should say that I went and bought some flat, comfty, water proof boots today in the sales as I did think last night my stilletos would be no good - lol!

I think I am gonna wait until we are out there to book the gondola looking at everyones comments as it allows us to be more flexible and decide out there if and when we want to go on one.

Thanks for the help!