We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Honeymoon in Venice

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Short Honeymoon in Venice

First of all, Thank you to TA forums and everyone here for the great tips and experience sharing which lead me to decide Venice. Being new to Europe and married , pardon my naivety.

We will reach Marco Polo Airport @ 1830 May 7, 11 and return on May 9,11 @ 0930. We are staying at Best Western Bologna. Due to this short duration(my mistake to book an early flight back, not sure if im able to change the timing @ easyjet), i'm worried that it would be a rush and we would end up not enjoying the trip. These are also my worries;

1.What is the best way to get to the hotel from airport?

2.What time would most of the shops in Venice close?

3.Is it save to walk at night say from 8pm- 12am?

4.Any nice place around the hotel?

5.Any romantic rides other than the gondola?

Hope to get some advice. Thank you :)

Edited: 14 March 2011, 06:47
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,650 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

The Hotel is not actually in Venice , but Mestre, which is a shame , really not the same ambiance, a Bus or a Land Taxi would be your best option foe getting to the Hotel, I am sure the Hotel web-site gives details,

Venice shops are open to roughly 8 / 9 at night shutting in the afternoon as in most of Italy for siesta,

Venice itself is very safe at night, not too sure about all areas of Mestre,

Apart from a Gondola a must do it the ride down 5the Grand Canal on a Vaporetto line 1 to San Marco, a poor mans Gondola ride is to cross the Grand Canal on a Traghetto , €2,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

1. Bus from the airport to Mestre station.

2. Sorry, I have never noticed when the shops close. I don't go to Venice to shop.

3. Venice is probably the safest city in Europe. It is safe at any time in Venice itself.

4. Your hotel is near the train station in Mestre, on the mainland. It is not a particularly pleasant area, and you should not plan on spending much time there. Leave the hotel and get on a train to Venice, and stay there until you have finished your day.

5. Vaporetto (water bus) along the Grand Canal.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

Shops generally close at 7pm, though some, especially those selling tourist souvenirs, stay open later.

UK
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

Actually crossing the Grand Canal on a Traghetto is even better value as it is only 50c.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,650 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

Of course my slip, Traghetto c50, just had been writing about One stop cross the Grand Canal at €2,

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

Thank you all for the great insight. It's my mistake to book a hotel which is not in venice because i thought it is in venice.Such a blunder...hahaha. well, i haf to spend more time on travelling to the island. I hope it is not toooo far out.

btw, does the gondola 40 mins/80 E ride person? If not how does the cost be divided? Any decent seafood place that is recommended say 60E for 2 persons.

Thank you :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,650 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

The Hotel is near Mestre Railway Station so no problem to get to Venice either by Bus or Train,

The price of a Gondola is per boat not person,

There are a lot of good Restaurants in Venice serving Seafood, most display Menus out side priced in English,and in English,

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

Thank you Sophie.

Btw, i'm planning to walk around Venice from 7pm - 12am on our first day. Which area is still opened around that time and what time is the last train or bus back to mainland Mestre?

Thank you.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,650 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

Places should be open at 7pm but not late, Venice is not a late place,

t few Bars and Restaurants are open late, but the Campo Santa Margarita has more going on in he evening most places,

If you cannot get,a train ,Buses run late to Mestre,

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short Honeymoon in Venice

Thanks Sophie. Sad to hear that Venice is not a late place :( Nonetheless, we will go to Campo Santa Margarita and see what can we do from there. With regards to the public transport, they will stop operating @ 10pm?

Thanks!