We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

My husband asked me that when we were in venice. I have no idea.

I have wondered about it.

I did a forum search and could find nothing. I think Venice has to be one of the safest cities in the world. There are no cars (no auto crashes or pedestrians being runned over) and I know there is very little crime.

But, my husband does wonder how many peeps fall into canals.

Bummer, he made me wonder too.

Edited: 18 March 2011, 23:42
NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Yes

I misspelled 'Venice"

"I could not give a damn for a man who can only spell a word one way" - Mark Twain

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

For the record, my daughter loves cows, and says your icon/monkier is the best of all we've seen (personally I'd vote for Peter's over on the Ischia forum)... and what's up with so many people using this moniker of a well-lit bar with green lighting from Ghostbusters?

What was your question?

Oh, yeah. I could google venice (or vencie) mortality death statistics, maybe even throw in the word drown, but I gotta wonder if your question is serious. Most people can at least tread water, and that's all you'd have to do if you fell in. Wait a minute - am I being gullible, answering your question seriously?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,389 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Intrepid, re the avatars, TA provides a selection to choose from if you don't have your own. The green bottles one seems popular, as does the couple on the Great Wall of China, passports and the legs with the shopping bags.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,389 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

And I guess some people do drown

http://tinyurl.com/4bff9h5

and have done in the past

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andries_Both

I am sure if we had canals here they would have to be fenced and there would be warnings all over the place.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Very few people drown in Venice, and most drownings are due to complicating factors, such as a storm or drunkenness on the part of the victim (as was the case with the British tourist).

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Lynn from Sidney, thank you for the tiny url, sorry the poor drunk fool had to perish that way. I'm familiar with the TA offerings, just wondering why more people don't put their photo or pet photo or home/favorite destination photo (can you tell what is behind my photo of daughter and me?), and then if they do pick TA icon, why not something more interesting like your fireboat or the great wall. Keep coming back.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Luxor in Las Vegas?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,389 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Intrepid, looks like a pyramid but a bit hard to tell.

My fireboat is from my own photos, take Australia Day on Sydney harbour.

Not everyone is adept with on-line photography stuff though so I guess the avatars provided allow more personalisation than the shadowy head.

and there re some that are so well known, like Vagabonda from Sicily, that it would be a shame if it was changed.

I like the cow by cm7872.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Drowning is not really that common of an occurrence.

Falling in is more common, often due to tourists going down onto steps towards thew canal which may be damp and slippery, complicated by algae growth, and more recently also due to the fact that with much of the "acqua alta" many of the stones on the edges of the canals have a small amount of algae growing, which when damp, make the stones very slippery.

For the most part, it is possible to get back out, usually with the help of passers by.

Problems only seem to occur either when one is alone (such as late at night) at which point it seems the stories usually include an impairment of one's coordination like the article describes.

As to no cars, there are still some dangers: every once in a while the papers carry a story of some old lady or child trampled and sometimes seriously injured by a mob of maddened "vu' compra' " (illegal street vendors, usually of African origin and quite often quite large in physical stature) that are trying desperately to escape the fiscal authorities and heed no obstacle in the path of egress chosen by the fleeing criminals.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

People do fall in canals when they stand on the green slime often exposed at lower tides on steps bweare ...However as said thankfully drownings are few and far between....