We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doges palace, clock tower, secret itin tickets

ohio
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Doges palace, clock tower, secret itin tickets

I am still confused. Which tickets to buy ahead of time and where.

Is it possible to do St. Mark's basilica, Doges Palace, Secret Itin, and clock tower in one day. Help with best times, order and which tickets to get ahead and where. Thanks so much.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doges palace, clock tower, secret itin tickets

Yes, you can see them in one day. They are right next to each other. You can purchased the Secret Itineraries tour on line. There is some kind of skip the line ticket for St. Marks, but the basiclica itself is free. There are three special areas that require a payment.

My suggestion:

#1 Be at St. Marks when it opens. Check their website for the time. I think it's around 9:30 a.m. Download the Rick Steves's free audio guide to your MP3 player. We arrived around 9 and listened to the guide on St. Mark's Square as we waited. We paid to visit the Treasury, the Golden Altar and the upstairs area with the four original bronze horses. If you are short on time, skip the first two but do go upstairs to see the horses. You will also have access to the terrace that overlooks St. Mark's Square. If you go back by the Doges' Banquet Hall there are toilets. Depending on your level of interest, St. Marks will take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Maybe shorter is you skip the Treasury and the Golden Altar.

#2 Book the Doges Palace tour for later in the morning or early int the afternoon.

I am not familiar with accessing the bell tower outside St. Marks. We took the vaporetto over to San Giorgio Magigoire (spelling is wrong). Entrance to that bell tower with great 360 degree views over Venice and the lagoon is EURO 3. Its closed in the early afternoon but if you do the Doges Palace tour in the early afternoon, you should be able to get over to San Giorgio when it is open.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doges palace, clock tower, secret itin tickets

Do you mean the Bell Tower (Campanile) or the Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio)?

You need tickets for and a tour of the Clock Tower. www.vivaticket.it sells both the Secret Itineraries and the Clock Tower tour.

The Secret Itineraries tour is about 1.5 hours, but you need another 1-1.5 hours for the public areas of the Doge's Palace.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Doges palace, clock tower, secret itin tickets

I have seen on St. Mark's website where you can buy the timed ticket for 1 Euro for St. Mark's but I didn't see where you can get tickets for the Treasury and Golden Altar on the website. Do I have to go to the ticket booth and buy those tickets directly there?

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doges palace, clock tower, secret itin tickets

You buy the tickets from an attendant right before you enter the Treasury or the Altar.

Try to go to the Basicilia between 11:30-12:30 when they turn the lights on, it's very beautiful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doges palace, clock tower, secret itin tickets

Is the following the same? Or better or worse compared to Vivatickets?

Thanks.

http://www.tickitaly.com/shop/cart.php

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,654 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doges palace, clock tower, secret itin tickets

Viva ticket is the official booking site,

7. Re: Doges palace, clock tower, secret itin tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:16