We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mega-advertisements

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mega-advertisements

Venice in Peril says "the newly appointed minister of culture, Giancarlo Galan, has told La Nuova Venezia newspaper (29 March 2011) that the mega-ads in St Mark's Square and down the Grand Canal must go". Thank goodness. Let's hope it happens soon.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mega-advertisements

The Italian culture minister can only decide on matters that lie within his competence. The monuments defaced with mega-ads belong to the city of Venice, which sells the space and collects the money.

The minister can try friendly persuasion, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the ads to disappear.

Edited: 04 April 2011, 17:34
surrey
Level Contributor
692 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mega-advertisements

It's interesting to see that the companies currently advertising, are not as up market as the ones last September - is there a high season and low season rate?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mega-advertisements

Does his power reach as far as the Vatican, will he be making them take down the WIND advertisements? Probably not. I imagine it is these adverts which are actually paying the cost of the renovations. Which is the lesser of the two evils?

Turin
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mega-advertisements

The lesser of the 2 evils is me not paying more taxes for those renovations :D

Seriously, if the new minister wants the mega-advertisements to go he should just give more funds to cities like Venice. If he doesn't he's just chatting...

5. Re: Mega-advertisements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 10:24