We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to Stay in Venice

California
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Area to Stay in Venice

Hello, can someone recommend a good area, reasonable priced to spend 3 days? I know the main island is very expensive and would like to stay close to things to do, restaurants, bars and also where we can see the culture. Please advise.

Sara

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to Stay in Venice

If you look, you can find reasonably priced accommodation on the main part of Venice (which, incidentally, consists of over 100 islands). For example, this B&B is quite close to St Mark's: www.aitagliapietra.com

Also, try looking on www.venere.com where you can sort by price.

"Reasonable price" means different things to different people. We may be able to help more if you say how many of you there are and how much you hope to spend per night, in euros.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,110 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area to Stay in Venice

Venice not big so location is not important over the years I have stayed in most areas all have there own charms, but away from San Marco is usually more reasonable,

Have a look at B&B's they really are good value Venice does not have to be very expensive if you do your homework, much preferable to stay in Venice then elsewhere,

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,094 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to Stay in Venice

I do not think there is a "best area" in Venice in which to stay - all areas are interesting. As for expensive - rooms with views of the Grand Canal can be very expensive indeed and there is no such thing as an inexpensive 5* Hotel of which there are many in Venice. But there are plenty of excellent reasonably priced 2, 3 and even 4* Hotels in Venice and none of the many I jhave used were dirty or bed-bug ridden. But mosquitoes can be a problem especially in the summer if you keep your bedroom windows open at night.

As for eating, avoid anywhere advertising "Menu Turistico" or anywhere close to the major tourist areas - Campo San Marco and the Rialto especially as prices go up where tourists abound. My wife and I generally eat in areas such as Dorsoduro or Cannaregio where tourists are slightly fewer and prices are a little lower.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,400 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,095 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Cannaregio
Cannaregio
3,958 Reviews
Venice, Italy
surrey
Level Contributor
740 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to Stay in Venice

Please see my review here -

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d183023…

http://bbyouandme.com/index_en.html

for us it was perfect - well placed for everything and well priced.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area to Stay in Venice

All above is good advice. i would add that location in Venice is not critical. Everything is close to everything, and close to what you went there for.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
6. Re: Best Area to Stay in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 20:18