We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Venice to Nice, France

Berkeley, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Venice to Nice, France

Hi All,

Part of my honeymoon will involve traveling from Venice to Nice, France.

Trains look like too much time and flights are really expensive. Driving sounds like the best option, but I'm here for some other opinions.

We could also stop somewhere along the way. Anyone have a good mid-way stopping point? (travel there by train/car; budget friendly hotels & decent attraction).

Thanks so much for the help.

Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,548 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Dolomite Mountains and Cortina 1-Day...
776 Reviews
from US$193.80*
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,575 Reviews
from US$56.30*
Special Offer
Venice Skip-the-Line: Doges Palace...
699 Reviews
from US$142.50*
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,885 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Venice to Nice, France

I would have thought that the train was just, or nearly, as quick as driving and far less effort.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,981 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Venice to Nice, France

Robert J is correct. Google maps driving times are, in my view, very optimistic. Even www.viamichelin.com, which many tripadviser contributors also regard as optimistic, gives over six hours minimum. I can achieve those times, but only by driving up to the speed limit (often 80 mph), and I know Italian roads and traffic behaviour well.

I think the drive is likely to take you at least 6.5 hours of pure driving time, plus the time of any stops you make on the way, so maybe at least 7.5 hours, probably eight. Much more if you engage in tourism off-route. The direct drive will cost you around €100 in tolls and gas, plus the rental charge. And if you are renting in Italy and dropping off in France it will cost several hundred euros more rental charge than to rent a car returned in Italy.

The fastest train connections take eight and a quarter hours. They cost €66.70 each bought in Italy, or from as little as €26.70 if you can get an advance purchase reduction from trenitalia on the Venice-Ventimiglia section of the journey.

Berkeley, California
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Venice to Nice, France

Thanks for the responses; very helpful. I'm having trouble finding the trains that would take me to Ventimiglia. I keep using trenitalia's site but "no solution" is ever found.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for pit stops along the way?

Or maybe someone knows a discount airline that could shuttle me?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,331 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Venice to Nice, France

You will get "no solution found" if you put in a date beyond June 11th or 12th, when the timetable is supposed to change. Putting a dummy date for say May 15th, you will find several connections between Venezia Santa Lucia to Ventimiglia (journey time around 8 hrs 15 min)

Or, you could try Easyjet.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
64 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Venice to Nice, France

I would love to hear about some good places to stay between Venice and Menton (near Nice) where we will be heading - and driving. Is it better to stop in Florence? Drive to Cinque Terre? Other mid-points? I would love the recommendations also.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,981 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Venice to Nice, France

There are almost no direct flights between Venice and Nice, and the only ones that exist are not very cheap. Find them on http://www.flybaboo.com/ - but note that a lot of the connections that they offer require a change of plane in Geneva.

For an overnight stop on the way by train, you could choose the major cities of Milan or Genoa www.turismo.comune.genova.it/spip.php… Otherwise, the fast trains between Milan and Ventimiglia also stop at a number of very attractive coastal towns, such as Finale Ligure http://www.promofinale.it/indexing.htm and Alassio …alassio.sv.it/turistico/eng/default.asp

As noted above. train schedules change after June 11. Later schedules will be the same as or similar to now, but will not be available online until late May.

For someone travelling by car, who is prepared to go miles out of their way to places such as Florence or the Cinque Terre, then the possibilities are endless. I suggest consulting a map and a guidebook!

Edited: 19 April 2011, 10:29
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Venice to Nice, France

I will be taking this journey in about 1 month.

We opted for train because planes were more expensive... and actually all flights on our date get us into Nice after the train does!

We leave Venice at 7:50AM and get into Nice around 4PM. The train station is right near where we need to be in Nice. If we had flown we would have gotten into nice around the same time... but we would have had to bother with getting to the center of town from the airport. Extra time.

The journey by train has 3 legs. Fast train venice to milan. Intercity train (still needs a reservation) from milan to ventimiglia. And a regional train from Ventimiglia to Nice.

Because I booked these tickets in advance I got excellent rates on the venice - milan and Milan - ventimiglia routes. I actually got first class tickets cheaper than second class. Even though first class may not be necessary... It was cheaper so why not!

When we arrive in Ventimiglia we will just purchase the regional ticket at the station there to go onto Nice since those trains run very frequently.

It's supposed to be a very scenic route on each of the 3 legs of the trip. After walking around for days and days before hand... I'll welcome the time off my feet! 8 hours is nothing (I've done longer on Amtrak in the US). I know on my journey there is a 40 minute transfer time in Milan and the longest route (4 hours) is milan to ventimiglia.

If you need to split the journey up - that's for you to decide... but I personally don't have a problem arriving in Nice around 4PM (when I can't even check-in to my hotel until 3PM).

Good luck with your planning and your travels!

8. Re: Travel from Venice to Nice, France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 05:15
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now