We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hours in Venice

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
12 hours in Venice

Unfortunately I will only be in Venice from 10 hours before going to Rome. Any advices to maximize my time there? I'll be staying in a hotel near the church of Frari.

Any suggestions? I'm traveling with my 10 year old son.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 hours in Venice

Really depends on your interests, but a ride on the Number 1 Vaporetto the length of the Grand Canal, an outside seat preferbaly

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
123 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 hours in Venice

A ten year old? Gondola, though pricey. Maybe glass blowing tour, but I hate the hard sell. Agree with the Grand Canal tour.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 hours in Venice

With only 12 hours I wouldn't waste my time on a glass blowing demonstration. I would do what sophie recommends and take the vaporetto the length of the Grand Canal, visit St. Mark's Square, take the vaporetto over to San Giorgio, go to the top of the campanile and enjoy the view from the top and also the ride back to St. Marks. I would then take the vaporetto to the La Salute vaporetto stop and have a nice walk in that area to the Campo Santa Margherita (lovely square where the locals and children hang out) and enjoy the walk back to your hotel.

Depending on what day and what time you get in, you might want to walk through the Rialto Market first thing in the morning.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 hours in Venice

Post #2 is my recommendation:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k40421…

Since you are staying near the Frari, start this tour at Piazzale Roma.

It's a touristy area, but eat lunch around San Marco and then head over to San Giorgio. IMO, don't bother with a gondola ride; the vaporettos are fun enough. By the way, I did hear back from the Original Poster who let me know that this route worked very well for them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 hours in Venice

Piazzalle Roma is a large bus stop, also with cars. It's the last place you want to see. The options are limited. I agree that a ride through the length of the Grand Canal on a vaporetto will be unforgettable, with a stop at Paza San Marco. Note, best seats are outside, in the back, if you can get them. As for dragging a ten year old to San Georgio, etc, he's going to worn out by the crowds and the heat. After the vaporetto and walk through San Marco, I'd head back towards the area of the hotel. Campo Santa Margarita is a plaza located amidst many universities and mainly has outside eateries for students. Instead, near you is the Scuola San Rocco. It's a mindblower, and I don't think it's out of the realm of a ten year old.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 21:54
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 hours in Venice

Thank you all for this awesome information. This is great.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 hours in Venice

I've taken a ten year old and younger children to San Giorgio and they love it - the ride to the top of the campanile, the angel struck by lightening, the beautiful sailing boats and the whole magical aspect of this small island. It is a very peaceful and serene spot but you can get an ice cream or snack at the cafe on the island. I wouldn't be too keen to take a youngster to the Scuola di San Rocco.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 hours in Venice

Start at Piazzale Roma since there a major vaporetto stop there and you can easily go the length of the Grand Canal if you start there. And, if you're lucky, the bells will rings when you are up in the bell tower at San Giorgio. Way cool for a ten year old.

Edited: 29 April 2011, 02:55
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 hours in Venice

If you staying in the Friari area, do not miss the Friari Chuch itself, one of the grandest in Venice,

10. Re: 12 hours in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:17