We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowds during San Marco concerts

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Crowds during San Marco concerts

I just saw on the TA forum that there is a Sting concert in San Marco on the evening we planned on going to San Marco square for dinner and a gondala ride. I cannot find any info on where exactly the concerts take place. Is it right in the square? If so, is access to the square limited? Should I stay away from the square? Thx for any info.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowds during San Marco concerts

There are often are concerts actually in the Piazza, but strangely seem to get very little publicity,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowds during San Marco concerts

I would avoid Piazza San Marco like the plague whilst a "Sting" concert is on. It is not the ideal place to take dinner in any event, you can certainly eat better, and probably cheaper elsewhere.

Two good guide book on where to eat are -

Written by the local writer Michela Sibilia her "Venice Osterie" gives brief descriptions with a photograph of a wide range of eating places all over Venice from which I am sure you can make a good choice.

Equally useful is a book by two American ladies who spend a lot of time in Venice. They are Shannon Essa and Ruth Edenbaum whose "Chow! Venice" does not have photographs but gives longer accounts of slightly fewer establishments.

Gondolas can be hired from sevsral places along the Grand Canal and are not confined to San Marco.

ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowds during San Marco concerts

If you go to youtube, put Andrea Bocelli Venice in the search box, then click on Time to say goodbye, you'll see what the piazza look's like during a concert.

4. Re: Crowds during San Marco concerts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 22:18