We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel on a canal or not?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Romford, United...
Level Contributor
631 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel on a canal or not?

Just after opinions really. Still not shortlisted which hotels to try and book.

As we are going to be in Venice there will be water all around us so will we feel cheated if we are in a hotel not on a canal?

Pros & Cons? :-)

I do want to get a private water taxi from the airport so does this swing the desicision?

Ta muchly!

:-)

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
631 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

"I have been to Venice several times and the last time I stayed in a studio apt on the Grand Canal. I must say it made all the difference and its the only way to go. If you are interested in room with a view try "Views on Venice" online. I stayed at Ca Gondola and it was amazing. We sat out on the dock next to our room each night with a glass of wine and watched the Venice life unfold."

I will check that out! :-)

Antwerp
Level Contributor
353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

I agree with those who say that it is not neccesary to stay at a hotel near a canal. The best way for me to enjoy Venice was staying in a quieter area away from the crowd around San Marco but still 10minute walk from it.

Level Contributor
81 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

We have only been to Venice 3 times & each time we stayed on the Grand Canal. 1st 2 times in a hotel with our room overlooking the Grand Canal & the Rialto bridge as well & we loved it. 3nd time we booked an apartment for 8 days & again on the GC. It was in Cannaregio so maybe the canal noise is less there. We loved looking out on the canal & just watching the traffic go by. It was also lovely to look out late at nite/early morning when there was almost no traffic & very peaceful.

We are returning in September for 9 days & again booked on the GC & are very excited.

I agree with those that say it isnt necessary but we find it adds a great deal to our trip. We didnt find it noisy but we are from New York City so maybe we are just used to the noise & tuned it out.

We enjoy Venice so much that wherever you decide to stay we are sure that it will be great!!!

New York
Level Contributor
174 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

When I was in Venice, I chose to stay in a room with a canal view. I loved waking up in the morning, looking out my window and watching the boats make their deliveries and watching and listening to the gondolas go by when I returned to my room in the afternoon for a break. I stayed at Locanda Orseolo which is on a small canal. We arrived at the hotel by water taxi and we had to climb through a window to get into the hotel. It was special and memorable way to arrive in Venice! For me, a canal view was very important. However, canal view or not, it's hard not to love Venice.

Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

If you have not already booked a hotel, I would recommend a room overlooking a canal aswell....

Myself hubby and kids have been to Venice a couple of times and we all fell in love on first sight! when we went back the last time we had a room overlooking the Grand Canal and Rialto Bridge and it was heaven....

sitting out on the balcony watching the early morning life going by and then in the evening, sipping our wine, enjoying the atmosphere...

Whichever you choose im sure you will love it too, just lose yourself, exploring the canals and the streets and enjoy!...

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,842 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

seems rooms on a Canal get the vote,, would not personally agree, maybe a room on a minor Canal, would suffice, but the extra you pay to stayb on the Grand Canal is not money well spent,

New York
Level Contributor
499 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

I lost track how many times I stayed in Venice over the years and we always had a balcony overlooking water - grand canal, lagoon or in Lido over looking the sea except for our first visit. I think it is personal opinion on what you prefer. To us it is worth the extra money for the balcony and water view and it is relaxing for us to sit there and watch what is going on in the morning, evening, or afternoon when we want to take a break,. However, we been to Venice so many times we don't need to do all the "tourist" things. Also, the weather was nice enough to use the balcony. It all depends on what you are going to Venice for.

San Antonio...
Level Contributor
116 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

Returning to Venice in October and booked a room with a canal view. My husband is a late sleeper and I like something to look at that is beautiful when waiting for him to get ready. I figure we probably won't be able to return again price wise, so I am making the most of it. If you can find a reasonable price, go for it, even a side canal.

Level Contributor
81 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

sophie8,

Why would you say staying on a canal is not money well spent? To my wife & myself, & it seems to some others as well, it is money well spent. There is no right or wrong on this subject. It is unfair of you to continually harp on NOT staying on the Grand Canal-or any canal for that matter since your information is normally great & helpful to people who have never been to Venice (as well as some like me who continually learn from you & others with much more knowledge & experience). Someone may be influenced by your bias against saying on a canal & may miss out on what many feel is a great experience.

Just my opinion as I feel staying on the Grand Canal is a important part of the Venice experience...& I respect the opinions of others that it isnt necessary but it isnt a waste of money for many of us.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

...and that is the crux of the 'answer' to this 'question' of this post! If you can afford the 'room with canal view', money is probably not the problem...threrefore it truly becomes a 'personal' preference. For those who can't afford the fare...: and so friends of mine, who I thought could afford a 'room w/view' opted for a $135.00 per night b&b...and came back raving about the place, and of course they fell in love with Venice. That's why this question will forever be answered with a personal preference...period, at least in my opinion...;-).