We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel on a canal or not?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Romford, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel on a canal or not?

Just after opinions really. Still not shortlisted which hotels to try and book.

As we are going to be in Venice there will be water all around us so will we feel cheated if we are in a hotel not on a canal?

Pros & Cons? :-)

I do want to get a private water taxi from the airport so does this swing the desicision?

Ta muchly!

:-)

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

Please know that Sophie, Rosa & Robert have a view as DE's of not only giving advise to the monied folks that can come to Venice , but also those that perhaps cannot make the time of their visit match with the Euros to spend,college students and young marrieds; really object to the term "harping".

I have had a room on the GC, frenzied, and early morning noise. I have stayed at a beloved B& B, that sits alongside a canal near San Marco. I will book the quiet side away from the canal when we stay. Staying again after our apartment stay.

And about the "Venice Experience" I am booking an apartment, this fall, getting my groceries at a market, fresh foods at the Rialto. Perhaps a Venice Experience many will not understand.

My opinion of a 'Venice Experience"..is to walk your feet off, love the views of wash hanging high above your head,delighting in the flowerboxes that adorn the calles, listen to the elderly gents chatting, watch the kids kicking a soccer ball in a campo, hear the church bells ringing across the city. Venice is so much more than" the Canal."

The Canal is a precious aspect of the city, but does not "make the be all and end all experience".

Book a room/suite/apartment that looks like it will suit your needs, and just go walk your feet off and enjoy.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,127 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

It is all a matter of opinion, personal choice, when asked I give that, and I think a lot of people go along with the view that a Grand Canal room can be noisy, I don't think I "harp" on that much about it anyway, ,

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,221 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

If there were a facebook-style "like" button, I would have pressed it for the last three posts. People are offering advice, giving reasons for their views. The comments are not prescriptive. Other people have offered different opinions. All are valid.

Anyone who has read sophie's posts regularly knows that she talks a lot of sense. Whether you accept her views is up to you,,

Edited: 05 July 2011, 07:57
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

It is very reassuring to me to read posts 27-30...

I have enjoyed great holidays with my family in the last couple of years in Venice and Lake Garda thanks to all the brilliant advice I picked up in the TA forums...thank you to the DEs and other members!...

However I only recently "plucked up the courage" to join in and offer my own humble opinion on our experiences and memories but was discouraged by the response which cast a cloud on my precious memories...

I am a mother of a large family and always working on a tight budget so we didnt pay high rates on our room, just a w'end, we booked very early, not in high season and will prob not get to Venice for a long time again...

So thanks for restoring my faith...

We are only trying to make our family memories as special as we can while we still can...

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
423 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

Looked at a lot of the responses and I think you need to answer a few questions to make the decision:

1. Is this truly a once in a lifetime trip to Venice or will you be back?

2. How much $$ can you spend?

3. Will you be in the room much?

4. Is convenience worth spending more $$?

5. Is quiet more important than view?

6. Do you want luxury or a more realistic Venice experience?

If only trip, designed for romance, cost not important, you'll be in the room more than just for sleeping and you want luxury, get the canal view.

If cost is a factor, you want more realistic experience, you don't mind dragging your bags over bridges to save $, or you'll be back a couple times, then get something further away on a quiet side canal. These can be charming.

I'm guessing because you asked if you'd be disappointed, you would be if you didn't "go for it". We're getting the GC view specifically because we'll be there for the Regatta Storica, and want a view without hassling with crowds. We tend towards the "you only live once, live it up" philosophy. Planning to spend some time on the balcony drinking wine, eating cheese, watching Venice go by.

ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

A Grand Canal view doesn't have to be madly expensive, I came across this one recently www.hotelgalleria.it it gets good reviews on TA, and is where I'm hoping to stay on my next visit to Venice.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,127 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

The Hotel Galleria is by the Acacademia Bridge, it is well reviewed but it has some rooms which are ridiculously small, worth checking out,

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

Thanks for all your opinions and answers. You are all helpful and all views have been read and digested many times.

During the posts you may have noticed that my mind has been swayed quite a few times! :-) Apologies!

1. Maybe it is the only time we will visit Venice at this point in our lives. We hopefully might return when we are older?

2. Budget is £1000 for 4 nights but was willing to go up to £1250 if it was a canal view in the Londra Palace or similar.

3. Probably not! :-)

4. Sort of!

5. Work in London and live in a town so used to hussle and bussle so staying in a quiet area is not actually important. I just want a clean bed to sleep in really and somewhere to shower and change and have breakfast! :-)

6. Half and half!

My thoughts now are that as this is my husbands 40th birthday treat/present I want it to be nice but nice does not have to be overpriced. Thinking go with a more reasonably priced hotel on a canal and the bog standard room and flight which I can easily get for just over half my budget (more for spends!). This way I get the water taxi to the hotel (which I thought would be lovely for him and special) and then a nice room - no canal view but then how much time we will be in the room as has been said, (yes it would be nice to wake up and see the canal out of the window but not sure if I want to pay the high extra price for that) and all I want something clean and comfy and traditional. I suppose as a visitor who has not been to Venice in my mind the Canal is the a main thing about the city and as I don't stay on the water at home it is a change from the norm.

This comment is what I have in mind:

'Venice Experience"..is to walk your feet off, love the views of wash hanging high above your head,delighting in the flowerboxes that adorn the calles, listen to the elderly gents chatting, watch the kids kicking a soccer ball in a campo, hear the church bells ringing across the city. Venice is so much more than" the Canal."

That is exactly what I want to see!

Ideally I want the break to be fun, romantic, lazy, traditional and 'real' .

I don't want to go to any flash restaurants, that's not me. I just want time with my husband, simple good traditional food, see the city, go with the flow and enjoy!

ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

I agree Sophie, and for anyone who wanted one of the larger rooms availability might be a problem, you'd probably have to book well in advance, I hope to go solo, so one of the little rooms would be fine.

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Hotel on a canal or not?

If the Locando Orseolo is available,it may be a sweet stay for your surprise celebration; that is the one we book and will be at when we end our 2 week Venice stay. Water taxi will get you to the big window door on the Orseolo canal.

Have a wonderful stay and, like a sponge, soak up all the memories you can; and then "squeeze them out" as you journal, take pics and then record your memories when you're back home.