We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to divide our time in & around Venice?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How to divide our time in & around Venice?

My wife and I are headed on a 7 day cruise departing Venice, and we have one full day before the cruise and 2 days after to explore. We were thinking that we could see Venice in one day and head out of the city when we return from the cruise. We've been tossing around ideas such as Verona or Padua. Looking for some advice as to whether this is a good idea. Would we be doing Venice justice by spending just one day/night ? Are there any other towns within a couple hours train/car ride that are worth a visit?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,235 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

Depends what you mean do Venice justice, Venice is not big, but there is plenty to see, of course a lot depends on your interests, but if you spent the whole 3 days there you you just about skim the surface, I would not bother to go else where,

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

No, you cannot do Venice justice in just one day/night. I would stay all three days in Venice - especially considering most of your first day in Venice will be lots to transportation/hotel check-in/jetlag.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
392 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

I would wander around Venice one day. Seeing of course San Marco, Doges and around.

After the cruise, i would take a vaporetto day pass and explore the island around Venice : Burano, Torcello and Murano. It is a nice relaxing day and every island is different. I loved Burano, nothing elsewhere like it !

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

Here's one thread with someone who had an itinerary for 3 days in Venice: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k39048…

You could probably find more itineraries by using the search box above and search for "3 days in Venice" or something like that.

Personally, with only 3 days in Venice I would not bother to leave but it totally depends on what your interests are.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like staying in Venice for the whole time is our best bet. We were a little reluctant because everything seems to be relatively more expensive there, and it's a small city. But I guess we need to weigh that against the amount of time and money it would take to travel elsewhere for just a day or two. The outlying islands sound like they're worth a visit as well.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

Verona is about an hour away from Venice by train, which is an inexpensive way to get there.

If you think you won't be visiting the Veneto region again, you may want to consider a quick train trip to Verona, a very beautiful city that is compact and easy to navigate on foot. You can see a lot in four hours (if you feel you can spare them).

Otherwise, there is much to experience in Venice, including the nearby islands of Murano and Burano, especially Burano (in my opinion, the more attractive of the two).

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,935 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

I don't think you can really see ANY city in just one day.

Everyone travels differently but Venice has a lot to offer.

You might try reading the small DK Top 10 Eyewitness Venice guide to see what I mean.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

Every year tens of thousands of tourists spend only one day in Venice. Try telling them they haven’t see anything just because they haven’t seen everything.

“Different strokes for different folks.”

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,935 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

Tourists that spend one night in a city(whether Venice or Rome or Rio) have been to the city and have seen a bit of it but they haven't "seen the city" or gotten to know it much.

NOone said you cannot see "anything". Just that you cannot say you've really gotten to know it but just can say"I've been there".

Most cities have more than one thing to see/do. In one day you will barely skim the surface BUT if that is the type of trip you prefer then of course you can skim from city to city wherever you go!

UK
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to divide our time in & around Venice?

Wasn't there a film "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium"? The title seems to encapsulate the notion of "seeing Europe" in two weeks. I have to agree with riffsmom.