We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPad/iPhone in venice

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
iPad/iPhone in venice

Have you taken your iPad/iPhone to Venice?

How useful have they proven to be?

What are your favourite apps?

I'm going to venice for only one day and want to make the most of it! I own both and iPhone and iPad.

Thanks for your help!

Jonny

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

Rick Steves has a free audio guide for Venice that is worth downloading to ipad/iphone.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 14:35
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

I found it great to be able to use the phone's GPS to move around. I had a dedicated GPS too, but unlike the phone, it could never get a good signal in Venice (worked fine for subsequent road trips though, once you're out of the densely built up city).

Edited: 13 July 2011, 15:04
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

i unlocked my iphone so that i could use an italian carrier AND tether my ipad (which does not have 3G). very handy tool to have. in addition to the free audio guides from Rick Steves, we bought Rick Steve's Italy guidebook on Kindle (but primarily used it on the Kindle app for the iPad). The audio guides + the guide e-book + access to the internet to look up things as needed is well worth it. but the beauty of venice is really just walking around and getting lost.

Level Contributor
39 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

Will my iPad 3G which is with AT&T work in Italy the way it is or do I need to buy some other service?

Level Contributor
39 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

Will my iPad 3G which is with AT&T work in Italy the way it is or do I need to buy some other service?

Level Contributor
39 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

Larrich, it is not necessary to post several times! Know that this is global, and the folks that can answer, are in different time zones,and may be asleep when you post every 2 minutes!!

I think it would be to your advantage to confer with your "carrier" to obtain the information you need. The carriers (verizon, AT&T plus the others ) may have a subscription "plan" that will work for your trip.

Personally, I have a plan with verizon that I just need to alert for foreign travel...

Ohio
Level Contributor
441 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

laririch2....all you have to do with your At&T 3 G iPad is to remove the AT&T microsim card and replace it with an Italian carrier microsim card. We did this recently, purchasing a 1gb microsim from Vodaphone for 10 euros. We had coverage everywhere.

Level Contributor
39 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

Can I buy the card at the airport?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iPad/iPhone in venice

Unfortunately there is no place in the airport to buy a SIM card. There are several different shops near Rialto bridge where you can get one though (Wind, Vodaphone, TIM).

One thing to note, when I had a Wind SIM in my iPhone, the "personal hotspot" feature disappeared from my settings. Although the salesperson was not aware of any limitations for tethering, I wouldn't be able to actually use it if I wanted, not with that phone at least. Vodaphone SIM on the other hand did not have such a restriction and the "personal hotspot" settings came right back when that card was inserted.

Also, with Vodaphone data connectivity was only enabled in a couple of hours after original purchase. With Wind, I could use it within 2 minutes of buying it. Kind of weird, but that's how it was.