We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

We are flying to Venice in August and would like some advice on where to stay for 3 nights. We are checking reviews and have found that people are recommending staying in Dorsoduro. Also would like to know what is the best way to get from Venice airport to Dorsoduro? How far is Dorsoduro to the main attractions and are there recommendations of reasonable accomodation in Dorsoduro (ie. apartment). Also what train station would we take leaving Venice to Florence?

Thanks for any information you can send.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

We stayed in Dusodoro in June. I would highly recommend the Hotel American - Dinesen. It was wonderful. It was a 10 minute walk over the Accedemia Bridge to St. Mark's Square. Beautiful island, convenient and very quiet.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

Venice is quite small so walking and travelling by the water bus (vaporetto) will get you anywhere quite quickly.

I think Dorsoduro is probably my favourite place to stay. We have stayed at La Calcina on the Zattere which was lovely. The room was small but pretty and the restaurant built right over the canal was great for both breakfast and dinner. It is quieter than staying near San Marco and it has some lovely campi, eg Campo San Margherita.

There is really only one train station in Venice, S Lucia. You will see Mestre listed as well but it is on the mainland, not the island.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

Dorsoduro is very nice there are other areas just as nice, San Marco is the busiest and most expensive, as Venice is quite small nowhere is too far from the places of interest, which are really scattered all over the City, I would not concentrate on one area, how you get there from the Airport depends somewhat where you stay,

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

But for "how do you get there" - the same way you get to anywhere else in Venice - it's not complicated.

As for "the main attractions" - some of them* are right in Dorsoduro and all the others are close enough. The main attraction is the city - you will be in the middle of it.

We like Dorsoduro.

* means: Guggenheim Museum, Galleria Accademia, Church Santa Maria della Salute, Palace Ca' Foscari, Palace Ca'Rezzonica, one end of the Ponte Accademia; and within a few steps of Scuola de San Rocca and Church Dei Frari.

Burlington, ON
Level Contributor
89 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

We also like Hotel American Dinesen and I would highly recommend. Have stayed there before and are heading back there next week for a return visit. From the airport we took the Alilaguna to the Zattere stop. The hotel is just a short walk from there. Dorsoduro area is quieter than San Marco but only a 10-15 minute walk to all of the sites.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

Also in Dorsoduro Ca Zose close to the Salute is a nice little Hotel,

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

I too can recommend Ca Zose, it's in a quiet area in Dorsodoro (about a 5 minute walk from the La Salute vaporetto stop and just one little bridge to cross). I've always gotten the vaporetto pass when I've visited Venice and I enjoyed the view from the La Salute vap stop (I saw an incredibly gorgeous sunset from there). I used the vaporetto a lot so I'm particularly partial to starting and ending my day with a view of the Grand Canal.

8. Re: Dorsoduro Venice accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 03:15