We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

My friends are standing me up for the plan to visit Venice from the 1st of October. Nevertheless, I am intending to go alone, I've always wanted to see Venice before it sink, ha! Italy has always been a hotspot for me, was just in Rome, Capri and Sorrento in February this year. I've also seen Florence years ago. Since I'll be having a two weeks vacation, where do you suggest that I venture after Venice? Somewhere nearby, easily accessible and safe to travel alone. I don't do budget traveling, intend to spoil myself a little, having been working so hard. However, I do not intend to be too extravagant either, something comfy and middle class will be great. Appreciate any sound advice, thank you!

BTW, I shall be traveling via Turkish Airlines and transiting in Istanbul, did this in February, high recommended the economical airlines and the city of Turkey!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,235 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

A lit6 of people travel to Venice alone and really enjoy it is really a very safe City of course like anywhere you need to be aware, you have Verona and Padua not too far away, you could always go back to Florence, I would say the Lakes but it will be getting out of season, but I think October is a lovely time to visit Venice, do not leave it late booking it is a popular time,

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

I spent two weeks in Venice the end of October 2008, alone, and loved it. Mostly blue skies, crisp as opposed to hot weather. Just lovely. I wandered around and enjoyed getting lost.

I'm also not opposed to talking to strangers so that helps when you are alone. But also you don't have to depend on other people to make the decision of where to eat or what to do for the day.

Go ahead spoil yourself. You work hard and you deserve it.

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

as sophie8 advised, Padova and Verona are within easy distance from Venice. Vicenza as well is nice.

If you like architecture and history, a cruise on the Brenta river with its palladian villas would be very nice.

Octber 1st, in my opinion, is not exactly the best season for Venice, starting to chill, you must hope some remnants of summer still clinging but unlikely.

By the way, Venice is and has been sinking for centuries, I think you can visit leisurly in no hurry, still floating during your lifetime ;)

I happened to be in Venice during the "acqua alta" and it has been impressive (seeing the water springing up from usually draining grates on the floor of piazza S. Marco is fascinanting as is navigating the Canal Grande and seeing the water invading to lower floor of palaces

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,235 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

I have actually found October a lovely time, can be quite warm, I have not missed many just once very wet, and so far no Acqua alta then,

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

Sophie8,

in UK you are accustomed to cooler climates ;)

I think average temps at the beginning of october are unlikely to be beyond 20C (www.meteo-net.it/statistiche/tempmedie.aspx).

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

There are many of us that go to Venice solo. I was lucky enough to visit Venice by myself for 10 days in November a few years ago and it was fantastic!

I suppose "cool" is relative depending on where you live but I've been to Venice 2 different years in November and although I was probably very lucky I didn't think it was too cold at all except at night it did get chilly. There were actually a few days where I didn't even need to wear a jacket.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 12:38
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

Thank you all for your lovely suggestion. I am now confirmed to take a train down from Milan to Venice, stopping by a few cities like Padova and Vincenza etc... no fixed agenda yet. Depending on the line of the train. So looking forward and excited about my two weeks in Italy again!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

My first trip to Venice was alone. It was, no doubt, the BEST trip compared to all the following non-solo ones. It's the most intimate, just me and my queen, it's beyond magical. Enjoy!

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

Venice is a magnificent place to visit- one of the most beautiful and friendly places that I have ever been to. I am sure you will have a wonderful time!

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alone to Venice, worth it?!!

It is a lovely time to be in Venice. Enjoy your stay!