We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less than

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Less than

In early September myself and some friends will be arriving at Venice Marco Polo airport (by coach) around 8am and our flight is not till 11:10pm.

We'd love to visit the city as none of us have never been before; We won't have much of a budget so would love some advice about the best way to utilise our time/money.

I just wish we were going to be staying for longer!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less than

I really do not think you will have time, by Bus you would need to allow a half an hour each way, and with check in you would just would not have time,

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less than

unworkable.

It take time from airport to reach piazzale Rome and then you are not in the heart of Venice: to reach St Mark square, count say 30 more minutes providing you know exactly which (slow!) vaporetto to take.

Another time.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 15:31
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less than

Sophie8: They have ALL DAY - 08:00 till 23:10 hrs...

I think the (orange) ACTV and (blue) ATVO bus both cost €5, but you can get a return ticket with the latter for €9. Both go to Piazzale Roma: italianairportguide.com/vce/venice-airport-b…

From P. Roma you will probably want to take the vaporetto down the Grand Canal as far as S. Marco and then just wander.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 15:33
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Less than

I respectfully differ. If your coach arrives at 8 in the morning and you don't leave until 11 in the evening, you will have plenty of time to get into Venice and scout around. It will take about 1/2 hour to get into Venice if you use a water taxi at 100 Euro. You can split the cost amongst friends but I am not sure what the capacity is per taxi. You can also exit at St. Marks square. We just got back two weeks ago and I believe the best thing to do in Venice is just get lost. If I could be a sculptor, I would make a bronze of two tourist stopped and looking down at a map. You'll see this throughout. St. Marks square has long lines but it really doesn't take long to get through (1/2 hour?). Just walk until you drop and have plenty of pizza a gelato. Oh by the way, I ate in the university district and ordered liver and onions.It was so different than anything else I ever ate and totally loved it.

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less than

my mistake, I misread: it's 23h00 and not 11h00 then plenty of time!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Less than

And me I to missed the AM, you can do quite a lot as later posters advised,

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Less than

Here are some past threads on this subject to get you started:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187870-s301/Venice:I…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187870-c135096/Venic…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k41779…

8. Re: Less than

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 05:16