We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

Why is this so difficult?

Please help. Flying into Venice then traveling to Bled, Slovenia for a few nights and then returning to Venice.

1. Mass Transit seems lengthy and confusing? Any trains that are overnight and more direct? If so how do I book? I feel as though all the connections will be stressful...

2. If I do rent a car and drive, will I need a special driver's license? Or will my US driver's license and passport be enough?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Bled
Bled
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

1. I don't think it's "so difficult" or that one change is lengthy, confusing or stressful. Go to www.bahn.de to see connections; they may not be bookable online. There are two train stations in Bled; find out about them and decide which you want.

2. I'm not sure you can rent a car in Venice for travel to Slovenia. If you can, you need an IDP, an official translation of your state driver's license that you can get from the AAA.

Mentioned in this post
Bled
Bled
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,631 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

For bookable online fares, see http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html for the Austrian railways luxury bus from Venice to Villach and at www.oebb,at for onward trains to Lesce Bled. Only one transfer is required this way. Note that the bus from Venice departs from Tronchetto, not from the train station, but from the airport it would be best to take it from Venezia Mestre train station where it also calls..

Edited: 06 August 2011, 22:27
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Villach
Villach
Carinthia, Austria
Bled
Bled
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,631 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

Active link for oebb - http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

You will need a US International driving license I believe. Also Slovenia is one of those countries that has "restrictions" with many hire car companies. You must inform the Rental company at time of booking which countries you wish to visit. Generally there is an insurance surcharge. Must be done at time of booking so that the pick-up office is aware.

e.g.

This is an extract from Avis regulations which implies a blanket ban in the former eastern-bloc countries

avis.de/assets/pdf/DE_Einreisekarte_2010.pdf but when you contact them they inform you there is an insurance surcharge then you can safely drive the vehicle. Some pick-up offices are not aware of this

Mentioned in this post
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

Not having luck renting a car.

Thank you all for your help. But does anyone know the exact station I need to arrive at to catch a train or bus? Please help, I need specifics....

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,631 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

You had specifics in reply 2.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

This thread has a link to a map showing exactly from where the Austrian Rail bus leaves:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k455…

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,631 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

i.e. for Tronchetto. But the OP is apparently travelling direct from the airport and will therefore want Venezia Mestre train station, served by direct buses from the airport, and where the Villach bus stops directly outside.

To travel to Tronchetto from the airport would be a major waste of time, money and effort.

Mentioned in this post
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Villach
Villach
Carinthia, Austria
9. Re: Car hire in Venice to drive to Bled, Slovenia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 23:15