We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Saturday or Monday?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Level Contributor
509 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Saturday or Monday?

Unfortunately, we're only able to arrange a day trip to Venice. We have the option of visiting either a Saturday or Monday. I read the Rialto Fish Market is closed on Monday, but I think the produce market may be open. Both are open on Saturday.

We arrive the end of October about 10:00 am and depart at 7:30 pm. We'd been leaning toward a Monday visit, expecting less crowds. Would Saturday be better because of the open markets?

With such limited time, it's unlikely that we'll spend much time in museums. We hope to wander the day away! Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

The markets are lovely, with the fish especially beautifully displayed but also the fruit and veggies. Definitely a morning visit.

…blogspot.com/2009/07/venice-la-serenissima.…

The most popular sights are San Marco Basilica and the square, the Doges Palace, the Rialto area including the markets and the bridge and then a multitude of churches and scuola crammed with art, as well as the museums such as Accademia and the Peggy Guggenheim.

Just walking some lovely calle and squares is always rewarding. Once off the beaten track the place is usually quieter. Lovely shops to look in and unique Venetian things such as masks, glass of course, linens and lace, plus good gelato.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

The size of the crowds in Venice is determined more by the number of cruise ships in port rather than the day of the week.

Arizona
Level Contributor
509 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

Lynn and Nick--Thanks for responses. Your blog notes are wonderful and the photos beautiful, as usual. It's great that you could spend an entire week in Venice.

Nick-- I never even thought of the cruise ship issues! It was always just weekend vs. nonweekend. Your blog photo of the cruise ship dwarfing the buildings floored me.

Lynn--We'll definitely visit San Marco Square and Basilica and areas immediately near the bridges. I'm leaning toward Saturday so we can see the fish market. We love wandering the back streets. On such a short visit, our goal is to absorb as much of Venice's 'atmosphere' as possible.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

I like that areas near te Bridges, there are bridges all over Venice, with

such a short time I would not worry about the markets, and if you do not really wanting to visit Museum, I would go on the Monday, at week ends there are hoards og day trippers who also come by Boat, , besides the Cruise Ships, do spend time around San Marco earlier the better, there are many more interesting things to see besides,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

Why would there be more day-trippers on the weekend? The great majority of visitors to Venice are foreign tourists who will not have to worry about the working week while they are on holiday.

I have never noticed any great difference between weekends and weekdays, but I did notice the day when there were 15,000 cruise passengers in town.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

I have found that Sunday especially on the Riva degli Schiavoni, the Day trippers come in hoards , these are not the ones who arrive on the big Liners at Stazione Marittima,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,494 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

Towards the end of October, crowds should be less of a problem, even on a Saturday. Seeing the fish market is what makes the market so different, I think. If you are arriving around 10, that could be your first stop, either by boat or wandering through Santa Croce and then San Polo to get there, and after the market taking advantage of some of the many "bacari" for a late morning snack to get started in a true Venetian spirit.

Arizona
Level Contributor
509 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

Nick, Sophie8, and I_heart_Venice--

Thanks for the continued responses. We're hoping that our arrival day doesn't coincide with a huge cruise ship arrival; if it does, we'll just have to make the best of it. We're leaning toward Saturday, so as to have the option of the seeing the fish market. We'll visit very soon after our arrival. I've often read that it's amazing.

I_heart_Venice--This is the first time I've seen the word 'bacari'. Don't know what it is, but I'm totally in support of a late morning snack and getting into the true spirit!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

A Bacari is a Venetian Bar, they are all over Venice . some of the oldeat around the Rialto Cichetti are the snacks very reasonable , and very nice too,

UK
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit Saturday or Monday?

You may find this website useful as it shows the number of cruise ships and passengers (port load) visiting on any given day:

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php