We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Pizza in Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Pizza in Venice

I know this has been covered before but looking for a more updated viewpoint. Especially looking for comments from locals or recent travelers.

I know Venice is not known for Pizza, but since I haven’t had pizza in a long time due to illness, I’d like to find one that will knock my socks off. Looking for quality and fair price…not looking for super gourmet stuff...not worried about crazy toppings. Just good crust and fresh toppings.

Grazie,

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
412 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

tarheelblue,

Couple of things to be aware of... I am a "pizza" connoisseur who has been told that I "waste my time in Italy by eating pizza when there is so much more to order!" I have been told asking where is the best pizza is like asking "where are the best grilled cheese sandwiches are" and that it is considered a kiddie menu item by "sophisticated Northern Italians".

Since none of that hurt my feelings, I have eaten pizza at both ends of the boot and many places in between and I will say I have never had a bad slice anywhere in Italy... Know that often the slices in the storefront windows are not made "in house" but rather delivered in the morning and heated up on demand... Once again- no complaints by me in Italy as they are sometimes better than my own "signature" pizza (google Old Forge Style pizza) that is my old family recipe.

The other issue to note is that in Venice, there are no wood fired ovens per another post- part of the heritage of having been burnt down a couple of times.

Not to dissuade you from seeking other opinions, and if any locals want to challenge what I am saying, I would be happy to be "misinformed"! I will opt for at least one "pizza fix in Venice" in any event...

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

There are wood fired pizza ovens in Venice, though if I were to compare the pizza available in Venice to that usually available in many other places on the rest of the mainland ("the boot", as it is so disparagingly described above, as though it were some German WWII film from the last century) I would usually choose a pizza elsewhere rather than in Venice, for the "pizza quality", to be honest... but there are more than decent pizzas available.

I suggest, from repeated personal experience (so others I haven't tried are probably *also* good):

Nono Risorto (S. Croce, on the border of San Polo near San Cassiano);

the various "Ae Oche" (a sort of "pizza chain" within Venice);

Pizzeria Tre Archi;

Al Vesuvio (with a wood oven);

and Casa Mia (near Santi Apostoli).

Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

Alla Strega in Casello. Check out their website. Whenever we go to Venice, we head straight to Alla Strega.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
412 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

I heart Venice,

"("the boot", as it is so disparagingly described above, as though it were some German WWII film from the last century)

My bad! Please accept my apologies. I absolutely did not mean the description as disparaging... I have heard it described that way by Italian Americans since I was a child when they would try to describe where their ancestors were from. In fact, I can recall a childhood song sung by the first generation of immigrants from Italy that included that reference to the shape of Italy. Just this "Americano's" attempt at describing the diversity of Italian pizzas throughout your wonderful country, but if it is considered offensive I won't be using it again.

PS My Father in law on the other hand claims to have "walked half way up the boot" from Palermo to the Arno during said war, but thankfully he made it out OK or my wife would not be here today to enjoy our upcoming anniversary trip to Italy! He said Italy was the only place in the whole (insert swear word here) 4 years of Army life where the food was any good! I suppose the Brits, the French and the Belgium folks could consider that disparaging as well ;-)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,419 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

I am certainly not a pizza connoisseur and will eat it only as the absolute last resort. Isn't pizza just a cheese sandwich with tomato sauce and if there is pasta or risotto with squid ink to be had in Venice, why would anyone want to waste time/money on pizza?? :) Having said this, I thought the pizza at Birraria la Corte in Campo San Polo was one of the better cheese sandwiches with tomato sauce. ;)

City of Venice...
Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

Another vote for Nono Risorto. Good pizza and great atmosphere. Lively place for dinner.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,830 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

One of thebest I have had in recent years although ot a expert on Pizza is at

Casa Mia, which IHV. also mentions,

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,346 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

A pizza cannot possibly be a cheese sandwich because a real sandwich (non of this "open-faced" stuff) has a top and bottom bread layer!

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

Vesuvio does have good pizza but the wood ovens were taken out around 5 years ago when the kitches were renovated.

Beccafico, Campo S. Stefano has great pizza imo. Love the crust, perfectly cooked, slightly chewy,not overly crispy AND they use only buffalo mozzarello Not that little pieces of weird (sometimes) imitation mozz.

Also, like Ae Oche but it it the thin crispy crust style (which I'm not crazy about).

925 in Campo S. Aponal (near Rialto) has dynamite pizza too.

Planning on checking out Casa Mia in the near future.

uk
Level Contributor
472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Pizza in Venice

i've always enjoyed them, here: http://jazz900.com/prg/club.asp