We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murano or Burano?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
640 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Murano or Burano?

We will be in Venice with a Globus tour. We don't want to pay their high price for an extra excursion to Burano and know we can go on our own for much less. Should we go to Burano or to Murano or both? Does anyone know what ferry we should take there? We will be staying either at Principe or Boscolo Bellini.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murano or Burano?

For Burano you need the LN from Fond. Nuovo,

Depends on your interests if you are into Murano Glass go to Murano, it is a nice Island in it's own right some nice Churches, I personally feel Burano it is a contrast from Venice, and a Oasis to visit very pretty with the coloured Houses, lace shops everywhere although , these day's mostly from Asia,

From the Station area where the Hotels are take a 42 or 52 Vaporetto to Fond.Nuovo,

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murano or Burano?

You can definitely do both in one day. We just did it on our own a couple of weeks ago. When you get off the vaporetto on Murano go left and you will find a couple of furnaces that will put on free glass blowing demonstrations. Then we wakled across the island to the lighthouse and got a varporetto there to Burano. Very pretty island. We had lunch there and then came back through Murano back to Venice.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Murano or Burano?

Well said Sushi3,

We were there this summer and did both. Each Island is unique and has its own character but we like the pastel houses on Burano the most. If you like the glass and lace, be prepared to drop some serious money. We bought for tumblers at 60 euro each and a pitcher for 180 euro. LOVE it. used it yesterday. Bought a lace runner for 50 euro. It's on the dining room table and every time I look at it I think about our wonderful trip.

Edited: 26 September 2011, 15:54
niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Murano or Burano?

All good advice .If however you only go to one island and maybe want to just relax a bit i would opt for Burano.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murano or Burano?

Yes, I agree. If you choose to visit only one island, then Burano.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
640 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Murano or Burano?

Thank you! You've been very helpful.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,548 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Murano or Burano?

If you go to Burano, it is probably worthwhile (time permitting) to go to Torcello as well, which is supposedly site of first settlement in the Venetian lagoon and where one can visit the oldest remaining church in Venice.

Murano is beautiful in itself, and a slightly different pace than Venice proper, much in the way that each of the various Sestieri has each maintained an individual identity over centuries of history.

Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Murano or Burano?

Are there continuous travel to murano/burano

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Murano or Burano?

Murano has a splendid Veneto-Byzantine church in Santi Maria e Donato, with a fine mosaic floor of 1140AD, close to the Glass Museum, If you travel out to the island on the 41/42 water bus line get off at the Museo landing stage - the ferries call at all 6 landing stages on Murano. Murano also has several good restaurants, generally a little cheaper than in the main city of Venice.

Burano and the nearby Torcello you will need to reach via the Linea Nord boat which sails from Fondamenta Nove and for Torcello, once at Burano take the small ferry/water bus across the channel from Burano to Torcello. Historically I think Torcello is the more interesting island with the very early (638 AD) Santa Maria Assunta, the first cathedral in the lagoon, with superb early mosaics - much earlier than in San Marco

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Murano or Burano?

Murano Burano Torcello are an easy trip. The ferries are easy to figure out and there is helpful signage. i departed from Fondamenta Nuove.

Edited: 30 October 2011, 21:31