We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about Locanda Orseolo

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
questions about Locanda Orseolo

From reports on the hotel section, this is certainly a popular and well regarded hotel. And they were great about answering my several questions in a friendly and prompt manner. I have a couple of questions that I think people who've stayed there may be better able to answer, so I'm posting here.

All "room tips" say to get a canal view. Much as I love those views, we're really noise sensitive, and I suspect that we'd be happier with a courtyard view. The only rooms that have an actual view of the courtyard (rather than the wall across the way) are the "bottom" category, viz. standard. We always get superior or deluxe category rooms, so I'm a little wary of the standard.

So: I'd be appreciative of hearing from folks who may have stayed in the standard courtyard rooms. Were they sufficiently spacious? What was the bathroom like? Etc. I know that these are subjective kinds of things, but I think that hearing from people may really help my decision. (I'm considering Al Ponte Mocenigo as well. And as a possible "stretch" Palazzo Sant' Angelo.)

One other question: Is Locanda O far enough away from the hub-bub of San Marco to feel relaxing? I'm not especially fond of that part of Venice (we're not "night people" e.g.); I tend to like the quieter, more residential quarters. But of course that's where we'll be exploring during the day.

Many thanks.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about Locanda Orseolo

As much as I loved our stay at the Locanda I would recommend against staying there if you do not like the area and want a quiet spot. For me it was all about watching the gondolas go by from our lovely deluxe room (they have only one of this category). The bathrooms are nothing too special, small and not very modern. Honestly the best part is the hospitality of the lovely people at the Locanda. Other than the deluxe room I do not find the rooms very special and I would certainly not book a room facing the small courtyard. The area is of course very crowded. I would recommend the Dorsoduro area for a more quiet but central experience (Pensione Accademia for example). The Locanda did not have "our" room for our next stay so I booked elsewhere this time (Aqua Palace hotel).

florida
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about Locanda Orseolo

I greatly appreciate your balanced and detailed reply. Really helps a lot!

Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about Locanda Orseolo

Al Ponte Mocenigo is extremely quiet. All of the rooms are beautiful and the beds are large and comfy. We stayed in 3 different rooms during our 4 night stay there. (They were very tightly booked and I really wanted that hotel.) The economy room was a little cramped but the bathroom was of a comfortable size. The more expensive rooms were huge by Venetian standards and so were the bathrooms. My favourite was a "superior" room papered with an amazing crimson silk fabric. It was an upper floor and through the window you could see Venice roof tops. It was a real luxury to have such a huge bathroom with a tub and shower.

The hotel is only a few steps from San Stae vaporetto stop and a brief, but lovely ride to San Marco.

florida
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about Locanda Orseolo

Thanks! Was there both a tub and a shower in the bathroom-- or was it a combo? I think you must have had the room that has two red easy chairs near the window? That's the one the hotel offered me, the one they said had "no view." You make it sound quite ok though. There's one other room-- I think they said it has a view of the little canal (no balcony). The photo shows green rather than red furnishings, and it shows two twin beds pushed together, rather than one bed. Hotel said that room is smaller, but has better view. If you happen to know both rooms, can you comment on what your preference would be? We'll be staying 3 nights, and it'll be my birthday, so I'm hoping to have a great room. (I'm somewhat concerned abt the one bed bec I believe it's queen size rather than king. We can't do smaller than king.)

MANY thanks.

Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about Locanda Orseolo

It was a combination tub and shower. It was blissful to lay back and soak my aching feet in the tub instead of having to resort to sitting on a chair and using the bidet (LOL)!

I liked the "view" from the red room, but it may not fit your idea of a view. The window was not that large but the roof tops were very picturesque and I felt it was very poetic.

We have a queen size bed at home. The Italian beds seemed larger than our bed. Contact the hotel and ask for the measurements. They will be in centimeters but you can use on an on-line app to convert to inches. You might be better off with the twin beds. Quite often, what we thought was a very large bed was actually 2 twins joined together. The Italian hotels were very accomplished at joining beds. We rarely noticed the join. Again, contact the hotel and ask if this is possible.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: questions about Locanda Orseolo

I agree with chromatophore.I stayed there too and our bed was large..Indeed,there were 2 singles joined but you can hardly notice that.Certainly it was much bigger than other queen-sized beds we have slept.

7. Re: questions about Locanda Orseolo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 10:24