We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposing in Venice.

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
Save Topic
Proposing in Venice.

Hi,

I'm planning a suprise trip to Venice for my girlfriends birthday in March 2012. During the trip I plan to propose to her.

Can anyone out there recommend somewhere subtle and romantic to deliver the big question? I have considered gondola/restaurant, but I'm looking for for something that extra bit special?

Thanks

Simon

Row Venice
Gondola Cruises
Tour Leader Venice
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Gondola Cruises
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, Gondola Cruises, Cultural Tours, City Tours
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,781 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposing in Venice.

If you put "Proposing in Venice " in the search box above on this page,. there are a lot of past suggestions,

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposing in Venice.

Isn't it special proposing while you are having a gondola ride??

BAC
Level Contributor
330 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposing in Venice.

one man's meat is another man's poison

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposing in Venice.

On top of the bell-tower of San Giorgio Maggiore - then you can lay Venice, if not the world, at her feet (Vaporetto No 2, I think it's €4 to go up the tower - there is a lift)

Edited: 08 October 2011, 16:32
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,768 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposing in Venice.

This is just so personal. Maybe as you wander through Venice you will come upon what you feel is the ideal spot and moment and propose without a pre-determined plan. As you haven't yet been there, having a bunch of strangers make suggestions seem kind of lacking - this is about you and her and none of us know you.

There are many potential spots in that unique city - my guess is you will find what seems right to you unexpectedly - I suggest having the ring with you at all times (in a very very safe/secure spot on your body) so you don't miss what might strike you as the most perfect, opportune moment.

Best of luck to you....

London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposing in Venice.

I really agree with the above post. When I went earlier in the year I found some of the most 'unexpected' places romantic and (without sounding too cheesy!) was touched whilst visiting places that aren't on the 'romantic radar.' I would just go with the flow and think you'll find the right place for you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposing in Venice.

In my youth, I would have opted for the gondola as we went under the Bridge of Sighs. Now, I think I would drop the question while visiting the Peggy Guggenheim Museum...specifically on the outside terrace that faces the Grand Canal. We were there in mid September...the gardens were an island of serenity in an otherwise crowded city, and the terrace was quiet and nearly empty of people and the view was awe inspiring.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposing in Venice.

I agree with those above who advise you to be spontaneous about it. But it's still worth having a few plans up your sleeve. You don't want to be in a crowd, obviously!

If the weather is nice, a vaporetto trip to Burano followed by a stroll around the island, and across to Mazzorbo, in warm spring sunshine, could present you with an opportunity. And if that doesn't work, go on to Torcello (a very short boat ride from Burano) which should be pretty quiet.

Good luck!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,452 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposing in Venice.

Codsall, that's exactly what I was thinking! The bell tower at San Giorgio with Venice spread out before you.

IMO, have a couple of plans in case in rains and one idea doesn't work out or doesn't feel right.

BAC
Level Contributor
330 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposing in Venice.

I like MoltoBen's idea and will hijack it and add.........in the Guggenheim garden there is a tree where one can write a 'wish' on a white card and place it on the tree. Every day it's filled with wishes...............Why not write down the proposal, obviously not telling her at all and she's bound to say 'what did you write?'. Have her find it, and then you have the momento too.................

Of course you're snookered if it's raining.....