We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

Hi everyone,

I am traveling to Paris (fr the US) for work and whilst there, I'd like to visit Italy and see as much as possible. The only thing is I have to be on a flight back to US in 4 days. So here's what I was thinking-- I've done crazy, whirlwind itineraries like these before. I'm agile and can run like the wind ;) By the way, I'm a female lone traveller.

Fri., 28th Oct. arrive in Milan from Paris at 10am.

Sat., 29th, first thing in the morning, head to Venice for a day trip, then take a late (overnight? is there one?) train to Rome

Sun., 30th - see the beautiful city of Rome

Mon, 31st- Rome

Tues., 1st Nov.- travel home on late morning flight.

Can you help me pull it off? I'll need to know exactly which trains to take, when and where (station).

Is there a place I can drop off my luggage (train station in Milan so I dont have to have the hotel hold it or take it to Venice)

In Milan, I'll be near Sempione E. Filiberto train station. In Rome, I'll be in the Accademia Nacionale de Francia, near Spagio Metro.

I would greatly appreciate your help in hatching this crazy plan.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

It is too much. Why Milan? Why not fly directly to Venice and then travel on to Rome? Since Venice is relatively small you can see a lot in a day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

Yes - I too wouldn't go to Milan with a few days. I'd fly Paris to Venice on EasyJet. I assume you are flying home from Rome.

Yes, there is an overnight Venice to Rome but there are quite a lot of negative posts/reviews about it that I have read - basically it is pretty difficult to sleep at all because of all the stops. Sounds horrid to me and I would probably fly or take the fast train first thing in the morning to Rome.

You can check schedules of trains at www.trenitalia.com

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I acted prematurely and bough non-refundable tickets to Milan. Yes, I'm flying home from Rome. For the overnight train. I can sleep through anything so long as I have a relatively comfy bed. Do they have a private cabin or at least a reclining chair on the train. which train would I need, I can look it up myself if I knew which one to take. I suppose I could fly in first thing but check in at the hotel is not until 3pm.

I appreciate your time :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

I'd skip Milan anyway. Which airport are you flying into? Take a train to Venice, spend one night and two days, take the overnight train to Rome if you must (you'd get there earlier than if you flew or took an early-morning train, but most hotels will let you store luggage until check-in; if yours doesn't, there's luggage storage at Roma Termini).

Go to

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Enter October 29 and 23 as the hour. It will show you the night train at 11:30 pm and on the same page the earliest train from Venice Santa Lucia at 8:27 am on October 30.

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

Since you have already purchased your plane tickets i would take a train to Rome and stay put. You will spend more time traveling then seeing either city if you try to split your time between Rome and Venice. Have a great trip.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

I have to fly to Milan as I've already booked the flight and the hotel there. I can make changes but not cancel the hotel.

I looked up the train schedule and I can head to Venice at 8am on 29th Oct. and stay until 8pm then travel back to Milan. From my hotel near Accademia Nazionale de Franzia what's the fastest and easiest way to get to Milan Termini? It will be a day trip so I will not have luggage with me.

Then the next day, what's the best way to get to FCU airport?

Thanke everyone!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

Oops correction my hotel is near the Piazza Firenzi :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

The Metro doesn't go near Piazza di Firenze. Take the No. 70 bus to the Senato stop and walk about 375 yards.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,121 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

I'm with susanilz5. Unless you know that this will be the only chance you'll EVER have to see Venice (in which case you should go), then you'd be better off heading straight from Milan to Rome, and leaving Venice for another occasion when you can give it more time. I have met people who have done whirlwind day trips to Venice, and they haven't enjoyed it.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madness I know but can you help me pull it?

You will be able to do a day trip to Venice from Milan but it will be very exhausting. I know because I have done it before. I did it because I thought it was my only chance to see Venice and also I had free accomodation in Milan. This 8 hours visit was just not enough for me to see Venice but because I enjoyed my visit so much I have gone back to Venice twice for longer stays on the island itself. I am planning to go back again and possibly many more times.

If you can handle it and it will make you happy to check it of your list then go for it. I will definitely fly from Venice Marco Polo to Rome and spend more time seeing Rome. There is a luggage storage place at Piazzale Roma in Venice just around the corner from the train station.

Enjoy your trip.