We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

Israel
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children traveling with light luggage from Verona to Treviso on Saturday in October.

There is a train switch either at Mestre or Vicenza.

Eurostar on the first leg makes the travel faster - but costs us around 60 Euro

Regional trains would cost us 22 Euro.

Besides speed - any other advantage to Eurostar? (in accuracy or comfort or luggage space or anything else?)

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

With the Eurostar, you have the privilege of paying more, in exchange for an assigned seat, greater speed, and (sometimes) more space for luggage. Since you have "light luggage", you should not have a problem on the regionale trains. Save your hard-earned money and take the regionale train on this fairly short route.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,925 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

I have been on both style trains. The regional trains make more stops so ride takes longer. There are no assigned seats so make sure you validate your ticket in the yellow box on the wall of the platform before boarding.

The bathrooms may be not as nice but they do exist.

Since it is a short journey you'll probably be fine. I went from Bologna to Venice and it was perfectly OK.

Scotland
Level Contributor
389 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

Have done it on both traines from milano - venice - would not pay the extra again - not worth it

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

One other comment: the regionale trains have a tendency to get very full during commute hours (for workers and students alike), so you might try to avoid taking them during those timeframes unless you don't mind the possibility of having to stand part of the way (or otherwise being on a crowded train).

Phoenix
Level Contributor
105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

We took a regional train to and from Venice to Verona. It was very comfortable and depending on the time you take the train...your trip can be shorter. We found that the 11am train only took 1 hour 40 minutes but most of the others took just over two hours.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

Three of us travelled on several types of train in italy during sept/oct....with lots of luggage which was not advisable.

I booked the fares online some weeks before leaving home. The ticketless tickets (I took the printout to show conductor on board) was hassle free and accepted. We did have assigned seats which I think all seats are...from what we saw.

We travelled 2nd class on rut star, intercity and regional trains. All were fine.

A good tipis to know the station before yours as sometimes they did not announce stations

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

What? the stations are always announced. Though, as often happens (in Italy) sometimes the speakers in the carriage don't work, sometimes it's the microphone that the conductor can use... or maybe the conductor forgets...

Since it seems you need to change trains in any case, and it is only one leg of the train journey that would be in Eurostar, unless there is a *VERY* serious time advantage, I would suggest taking the Regionale and making much better use of the extra 40almost euros at one of Treviso's fine restaurants.

Do leave time to enjoy Treviso (I hope it is not just a departure after the airport is scheduled to reopen), since though I am enamored with Venice, I am obsessed with the beauty of Treviso...

8. Re: Eurostar trains vs. Regional trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 19:18