We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tranferring a power wheelchair to the venice port for a...

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
tranferring a power wheelchair to the venice port for a...

We are taking a cruise out of Venice on the Splendour of the Seas June 2006 with our d2 daughters. One of daughters coming along wants/needs to use a power wheelchair while on the ship. We will use a manual chair to push her when in Venice the day before the cruise departs. She is able to walk up approximately 10 steps and walk short distances before fatiguing, but she's not able to push herself in a manual wheelchair.

I've gotten a price of 200 Euros for a private water taxi to the Palazzo Bembo from the Marco Polo airport to transport the 4 of us and the powerchair.I can't afford to pay 200 Euros. We will be carrying 2 large suitcases and 2 small suitcases , a manual wheelchair and power wheelchair. Is there a more cost efficient and time efficient means of getting to the hotel and then to the port the next day? I'd even consider renting a powerchair to use on the ship but, I don't know what company I can rent it from. Our daughter is a teenager and doesn't want us pushing her wheelchair for her on the ship for 7 days. Our daughter would rather stay home but, that is not an alternative. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,637 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tranferring a power wheelchair to the venice port for a...

200 euros sounds a lot. Is this a price a hotel has quoted you for a private water taxi, if so it sounds as if they are adding a substantial commission? Have you tried either

www.veneziataxi.it

or

www.motoscafivenezia.it

for a quote?

A land taxi from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma would cost around 30 euros, though you would probably need two taxis with the extra wheelchairs.

In Piazzale Roma there is a landing stage for the vaporetti (water bus) lines. It is perfectly possible to run a wheel chair from the landing stage on to the flat deck of the water bus - I have seen this happen on a number of occasions. The water bus crews are very helpful with the diabled and the elderley (We are both in our 70s and handicappped with arthristis and useually get a helping hand to steady us when we step on or off the water bus)

The fare down the Grand Canal is 5 euros - thoug you may be charged extra if you have a lot of luugage and spare wheelchairs taking up deck space that could be utilised by a passenger.

It wpould be possible for your daughter in a powered wheelchair to drive herself from Piazzale Roma to your cruise ship in the Stazione Marittima or you could take land taxis again from Piazzale Roma into the Stazione.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tranferring a power wheelchair to the venice port for a...

My wife and I noticed that the buses were incredibly accommodating to the disabled, elderly and to those in need of assistance (and we do not fall into any of these categories - but if you notice it then it is a good thing). The buses have a designated area for travelers in wheelchairs and the docks are easy to access (no steps or inclines). I would take a bus from the airport as it will be cheaper and easier unless your final destination is too far from your arriving bus stop.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tranferring a power wheelchair to the venice port for a...

Thank you, very much for the helpful information. Last weekend my computer crashed and I was unable to answer the very nice couple who suggested Sanitrans for an accessible water taxi. We will be staying at Foscari Palace Hotel and the hotel is arranging the transportation with Sanitrans. They are far more reasonable, in price, than anyone, therefore, enabling our daughter to take her power wheelchair on the cruise. She is so excited! I can't say enough about Foscari Palace hotel and the help they are to us. I just want to say "Thank You!" to the very nice couple who suggested Sanitrans to us.

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tranferring a power wheelchair to the venice port for a...

Hello again Venice 06 and thank you for your kind comments. If you try the subject heading "venice accomodation for handicap and other recommendations" we lodged an answer there on either 5th or 6th January which gave detailed guidance on getting around Venice and the sights without doing too much damage. Hope you will find it useful.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tranferring a power wheelchair to the venice port for a...

Kathleen37

Very kind of you to bump the other post. You can always copy and past it here as well.

You may already have read this post above -

venice accomodation for handicap and other recommendations

Here's the link for it anyway-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k38299…

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tranferring a power wheelchair to the venice port for a...

Thank you for the travel info. for Venice re: wheelchairs. I have copied all of the information so that I can take it on vacation. I couldn't have planned this vacation without everyone's help.

Thank you, again.