We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guided tour in venice ??

LI, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
guided tour in venice ??

Do I really need a 3-4 hour guided tour in Venice or can I get around just me and spouse?

Venice Urban Adventures
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours
JM Walkingtour
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Free Venice City Tour
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, Gondola Cruises, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Surrey
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: guided tour in venice ??

Cm7872 - do tell us, what is the reason people in Venice dry their laundry on lines rather than in dryers? I can think of lots of obvious, logical reasons but it seems that a highlight of your guided tour was discovering a very special, unique reason! I'm intrigued.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: guided tour in venice ??

Not sure what CM7872 would say but after living there for a few years and knowing all my Venetian friends...I can tell you the reason for us etc was no driers.....the older buildings did not have them or were wired for them...for that matter I did not have an oven either...

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: guided tour in venice ??

I have not got a dryer either by choice, can't beat drying outside anyway,

weather permitting ,

UK
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: guided tour in venice ??

I would also surmise that not many Venetian houses have room for a tumble drier. Also, imagine getting one through the narrow streets, through the narrow doors, and up the narrow stairs. OK, same problem with an oven or a washing-machine, but I'd say they were essential, and a tumble-drier is optional.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: guided tour in venice ??

Still waiting for the tour guide's special, inside information on this fascinating cultural fact!

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: guided tour in venice ??

There really is no great secret: it is mostly a matter of habit that has never formed. A drier is no larger than a washer (and is lighter), and everyone has those. There are sometimes problems on narrow steps, never heard of problems in the doors, unless it was to fit it in the bathroom with a tiny door, but delivery is not a factor. Higher than average electricity costs is one factor. But mostly it is the continued belief that if your laundry isn't aired out (similar to the same belief for rooms) it will get filled with horrible bugs and sicknesses and be bad for you.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: guided tour in venice ??

Yes, as I said, there are lots of obvious, logical reasons but CM7872 indicated that discovering a generally unknown and special reason for hanging washing outside was a high point of a guided tour!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: guided tour in venice ??

I suspect that the "generally unknown" reason for hanging washing outside was unknown to CM7872 but not to anyone remotely familiar with Venice and Venetians (or Italy and Italians).

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: guided tour in venice ??

And don't forget that in many places in the US it's forbidden to hang washing outside (unsightly, lowers property values), so hanging washing outside might strike someone from NYC as a quaint and picturesque local habit.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: guided tour in venice ??

So do we conclude that either the tour guide was making something up or that the tour was so poor that a piece of obvious information became a highlight?

My point is that this should answer the original poster's question as to whether to take a guided tour or not.

Admittedly, I am biased by seeing huge tour groups of forty or more in Venice this month (yes, even in December), blocking the streets and with over half the participants unable to hear the tour guide.