We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Not sure if I should post this under Venice or Jesolo so will post under both!

We intend staying at the Marina Du Venezia campsite in an air conditioned mobile home for ten nights from June 14th. Most reviews seem very good to excellent but a few mention the mosquitoes and as we will be bringing a four year old little girl wondered what everyone's opinion as to whether this will be a problem or not.

Advice very much welcomed....

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

Just come prepared. If you have A/C then you can turn it on high to stun the b*ggers. I would have thought that they would spray the campsite / public areas but certainly from dusk in Jesolo mozzies can be a problem. Just have a good repellent and a good after-bite cream . All the supermarkets / chemists sell the repellent and after-bite cream. Many are child friendly as well. Plus you can get the plug ins and candles that are pretty effective.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

I have read they can be bad in these camp sites, as they can be in Venice, but could no more than be prepared, does the little girl attract Mosquitoes, they seem choosy,

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks for the advice and will come prepared. Don't think my grandaughter has been anwhere that mosquitoes a problem so don't know if they would be attracted to her but I think she's lovely so they might. Went to Cote d'Azure last summer with her and no bites there but do like to go to different places each year. Thought of Langudoc area of France but it's years since we were in Venice and it is great isn't it?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks for the advice and will come prepared. Don't think my grandaughter has been anwhere that mosquitoes a problem so don't know if they would be attracted to her but I think she's lovely so they might. Went to Cote d'Azure last summer with her and no bites there but do like to go to different places each year. Thought of Langudoc area of France but it's years since we were in Venice and it is great isn't it?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,469 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

People vary in their attractiveness for mosquitoes. Some smell good to mosquitoes, some do not and therefore rarely get bitten by the females in search of a blood meal. If you are one of those fortunate people not often bitten by mosuitoes then no prpoblems.

If howsever mosuitoes like you then keep you windows closed at night and have a good pyrethrum spray handy.

In a camp site close to the coast yhou should not be too troubled as mosquitoes do not breed in the moving sea water, they like still freshwater which may not be common on a sandy beach.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

Thank you all so much...advice and thoughts much appreciated.

Pescara, Italy
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

I didn't believe it until we tried it this summer but the Avon Skin so Soft spray is good at preventing mosquito bites. It lasts about 2 hours so you need to keep reapplying the spray but it definitely helps and we had less bites in Italy last summer than we had the summer before without it!

My three year old daughter never seems to get many bites, maybe because she never sits still!!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

I hearsd about some Avon product but didn't know the name...no wI do thanks SallyS1978.

Pescara, Italy
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

No problem - it's worth a try as it worked for us.

(it's the replenishing dry oil body spray)

Reading
Level Contributor
158 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

Interesting - we've used Skin so soft (as apparently used by the royal marines when training in Scotland?) many times in the past with mixed results. I suspect the reason was that I wasn't reappying as frequently as every 2 hours. Does also mean that it's not likely to be as effective when you are sleeping. In the end I resorted to a mosquito net and felt so much more secure!

My wife uses belt and braces with a combination of vitamin B patches and Skin so Soft!