We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in March

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Hartford...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
weather in March

I'm thinking of going to Venice the last week in March. Am I nuts?

What is the weather like then?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,209 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in March

Venice weather:

www.venice.world-guides.com/weather.html

UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in March

There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes. Why do so many people ask what the weather is going to be like next week, next month, or next year? The answer is NOBODY knows. The average over the past year or the past 10 years is just that - an average. You can get very untypical weather almost anywhere. By the time you've booked your flights and accommodation, it's too late to do anything about the weather. Umbrellas can be bought anywhere, and cheaply enough to be thrown away before you pack. Take enough clothes to wear layers - add if it's cold, take off if it's warm.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,238 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in March

Would agree take layers, you really cant say what the weather is going to be like, from one week to the next, let alone Year,

I have been then in the past it has been fine,

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in March

People ask because they want to know what the likely range will be. An average figure is of little use. Weather can be a big factor in how much someone will enjoy their vacation.

The question was reasonable and should be encouraged. I hope this one time poster returns and isn't discouraged by the response.

Edited: 13 January 2012, 14:11
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,238 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in March

I can see nothing wrong with honest answers as stated, , really who knows , as said be prepared , Venice is lovely really anytime,

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in March

No Linda, you're not nuts! But as others have advised, just be prepared for any eventuality. We have been to Venice twice in March - once during the first week and once during the third week and honestly, we had anything from cold, damp and windy to sitting outside a cafe in the sunshine and actually getting our faces burnt!

We'll be there for a few days at the beginning of March this year and we'll both be taking thin, warm layers - and if the temperatures fall, we'll add a layer..

Have a wonderful time!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,570 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in March

Likely not to be very warm - average March daily maximum temperatures around 12 C so not likely to be dining outdoors. High probablity of some showers so take a rainproof coat and a warm sewater.

Otherwise the advantage of not as many tourists around before Easter so the streets will not be too overcrowded. All the museums will be open and not crowded so in many ways a good time to be in Vencie.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in March

"People ask because they want to know what the likely range will be. An average figure is of little use. Weather can be a big factor in how much someone will enjoy their vacation. "

I do not agree about average figures.

Average figures along with andecdotal person experiences of a particular years are answers to the question. Otherwise, what some of the other poster are saying is correct, don't bother asking.

"Likely not to be very warm - average March daily maximum temperatures around 12 C"

answers with actual number I think are helpful. I myself do not want to go on an expensive European vacation anywhere where the average low is below zero Deg C. Otherwise I can vacation in a cheap US vacation like Chicago. 12 deg C is 53 deg F is fabulous for me in the winter ("not very warm" is not how I would qualify that Temp) when in Feb the high in my home location can be zero Deg F (-18 DegC).

I am thinking myself of vacationing in Venice in march.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,796 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather in March

It is a fair question! I live in an area of the US where we local advisors dicourage people from visiting in March as it is a very unstable month here and much harder to predict than Feb and April. And as said they are not asking for a forecast. I have been to Venice in March, but I will let locals give their overall impressions. Bad may not be the best adjective, but I have lived in Alaska and experienced something close to it no matter how many layers of clothes you wear!

Edited: 13 January 2012, 20:15
Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather in March

I don't think any of the responses have been unreasonable and certainly not discouraging. March is still on the tail end of winter and moving to early spring. As earlier posters have suggested, layer, layer, layer. Prepare for a chill and perhaps dampness, but also be ready if the sun shines and you find yourself in a campo sun shining and warming your winter weary bones....in that case, perhaps a hat and sunscreen!