We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train to Venice

We will arrive Venice Marco Polo Airport @12:05pm, planning to take a train to Milan immiediately, i have the below questions:

1. Which is the closest train station from airport?

2. How long does it take to get to the train station from airport and what are the transportation options?

3. Can we buy train tickets at the station? would there be chances that there are no tickets for that train?

4. If we make a advanced purchase train ticket and miss the scheduled train, it is possible to take the later train using the same ticket, are there any penalities?

5. which station should i select Milan, (closest to Duomo)

thank you very much

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Venice

1. The most convenient station is Mestre on the mainland. Land vehicles can drop you right at the station entrance.

2. You can take a bus or a land taxi. Maybe 30 minutes.

3. You can buy tickets at the station at the "Base" price shown on the Trenitalia web site. It is very unusual for trains to sell out, except during the peak holiday period in August.

4. Do not buy your ticket in advance. If you buy a cheap advance purchase "Mini" fare and miss the train for any reason, the ticket is worthless.

5. You do not have a choice: all the fast trains go to Milan Centrale. There is no Trenitalia station close to the Duomo.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Venice

1. The closest train station to the airport is Mestre. You have to take a bus from the airport to the train station.

2. The trip by bus is short; what no one knows is how long it will take to pick up your luggage.

3, Yes, you can. Trains rarely sell out.

4. If you buy a ticket online at the Base fare, you have an hour to exchange it without penalty, but you have to stand in line at a ticket window to do so. If you buy a ticket at the Mini fare, you lose the ticket and have to buy a bew one

5. The fast trains only go to Milano Centrale, which is also the closest to the Duomo.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Venice

Snap!!

new york
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Venice

Thank you both.

Which bus should i take to Mestre? and from which terminal? how do i buy tickets for that?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Venice

There is only one small terminal at Marco Polo airport. Follow the signs for buses, and take the one with "Mestre" on its destination sign. I forget whether you buy tickets from a kiosk or the driver: there will be signs.

If in doubt, ask at the prominent Hello Venezia counter in the arrivals hall.

new york
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Venice

Thank you very much for your help,

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Venice

To get to Duomo, you'll have to take the metro from Milano Centrale to Duomo station.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Venice

Here is more information on the bus from the airport to Mestre train station:

europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-a…

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Venice

manbilly,

When you exit the baggage claim area at Marco Polo, hang a left. There, you will find the transportation booths. They sell tickets for the buses, etc. Surely, you will see the lines. :)

You should have no problems, especially that time of day. Many people speak English (do learn some basic Italian, though). Do get a good guide book! (I prefer the DK Eyewitness Travel Guides. Awesome if you are a "visual" person.)

Have fun!

10. Re: Train to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2013, 10:19