We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Padua by train

Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Padua by train

Hi there,

We're looking to take the train from Venice to Padua, and I've read here on some posts that the fare is only about 3 euros one way. I went to the trenitalia website though and only see it as low as 9 euros per person for the Mini fare but I believe that's not for the regionale trains. If I wanted to go with the regionale train and thus the lower fare, is that then only available the day of at the train station? Is there a limited number of tickets available at this price? Do train tickets fluctuate in price (like airline tix) based on availability? I was looking to pre-purchase the tickets before we leave as I thought that may be easier. We would be travelling next month.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Padua
Padua
Province of Padua, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Padua by train

There is no requirement to pre-book Regionale trains online, you just go and purchase your tickets on the day of travel. For your journey, the cost is € 3.50.

You can, however, pre-book online if you want to use the fast trains.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,688 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Padua by train

There is absolutely no point in trying to buy tickets for Regionale trains online. Indeed, tickets bought online have less flexibility than those bought at stations.

Buy in Italy. The price is the same no matter when or where you buy. There are no seat reservations, so tickets cannot sell out.

Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the tickets in a yellow machine at the station, and they are then valid for 6 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Padua by train

Great! Thanks for the info both of you. Are the cost of the regionals trains the same for all routes? I would assume not...how would I find out what the fare is as it doesn't say on the trenitalia website. It just states n/a. For example, Padua to Florence. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Padua
Padua
Province of Padua, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Padua by train

the fare is calculated based on distance and type of train.

Padua ("Padova") to Florence is on a faster train and more expensive. There are slower and cheaper trains but they don't go to Santa Maria Novella..

N/A just means you can't buy it on-line. Lots of trains everyday throughout Italy

Mentioned in this post
Padua
Padua
Province of Padua, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,688 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Padua by train

To see the costs of Regionale trains, use a travel date within the next 7 days.

Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Padua by train

Thanks again!

7. Re: Venice to Padua by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 10:26