We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is staying in San Marco so awful?

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
660 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Is staying in San Marco so awful?

:-)

We are first timers to Venice and I picked San Marco (and the pretty central part) so interested that whenever somebody asks a question about where to stay everybody prefers anywhere else.

So is San Marco soooo awful? will we really hate it......?

Just interested really.

:-D

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

First time visitors , you will be fine, it is just that it is very busy, much more touristy than the rest of Venice, saying that some areas are not too bad at all, maybe best to say the actual Piazza San Marco area is the busiest, also you do find more authentic Restaurants else where, and not so expensive, but Venice is not big will not take you long to walk to other quieter areas,

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

San Marco prices for food, jewelry and gifts are very high. You can get the same selection of everything for half the price about a ten minute walk away. Good idea to make the effort.

Also Venice is lovely when you are alone in the beautiful streets. You have to walk well away from San Marco to achieve this.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

I'm staying in San Marco on my next visit. I like it because I love wandering around early in the morning before it gets busy, and again in the evening, sitting with a book in Piazza San Marco, listening to the music, with a glorious sgroppino. Yes, expensive, but there is no where else like it and I also like the fact that I'm a close hop back to the hotel. Also, walk 5 or 10 mins from San Marco and you'll find you have the streets to yourself., even at the busiest times.

Having said that, this next trip, after 4 nights by Piazza San Marco, I'm then moving hotels back to Cannaregio, as I also love being based there. Best of both worlds!

Enjoy your trip!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

I love Cannaregio area. We were walking around early in the morning and watched the market come to life.

Most first time tourists stay in San Marco area because they didn't know that Venice is so small. You can easily reach San Marco from anywhere in the island either on foot or by vaporetto. I prefer walking though.

Anyway, since you've booked your hotel there, just enjoy your stay. Don't let it bug you. Walk around and soak in the atmosphere and maybe you'll find a better area for your next visit.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

I think it's a wonderful area to stay for the first visit! On my first visit we had a small apt between St Marks and Rialto. We loved every minute of it. It was exiciting to be in the thick of things as a first time visitor to Venice.

Enjoy!

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
660 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

:-)

Thanks for your replies.

I am soooo looking forward to it!

Funnily enough, a couple we know visited Venice a few years ago and their comment when they got back was that they loved it but really wished they had stayed in San Marco, thats partly why I booked what I did. :-)

We always go for a little 45min brisk walk after our dinner each evening so walking is pretty natural for us and I plan LOADS of it while we are there.

Can't wait to just wander and explore!

I can do a recki (spelling?) when we are there for where hubby can take me back to in the future! he he!

x

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

I hope you will really enjoy your stay, if I remember rightly you were doing this as a surprise ?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,752 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

The answer to your question depends in part on when you will be there. At peak season, you are probably making a mistake. Off season, it may well be the place where you will be happiest.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

Right, I have always found the early, early morning stroll in and around Piazza San Marco to be one of the great high points of any trip to Italy, even though we stay in other areas to avoid the crowds.

But you asked, is staying in San Marco so awful? Absolutely not! It is simply a different experience of Venice from what we like after a few trips there. If this is your first trip, then I predict you will love it.

10. Re: Is staying in San Marco so awful?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:42